3070 backplate issue

vinnybear

Hi,
I just got the block for the EVGA Geforce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra with Backplate but the black plate has an issue. For step 5 it looks like my backplate was drilled wrong. In the picture it looks like the thread should be directly in the backplate for the screw but instead mine has a thru-hole insert.
As a result I cannot fit this screw.

Attachments

• alpha picture.PNG
    alpha picture.PNG
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • my backplate.PNG
    my backplate.PNG
    390.3 KB · Views: 0
  • step5.PNG
    step5.PNG
    75.5 KB · Views: 0

vinnybear

ok some update :
The backplate does have a threaded hole in it (pic1), some plastic insert fell into the hole I guess.
However this thread takes an M4 screw (see pic2) but no M4 screw is provided with the kit.
It doesn't matter because an M4 screw doesn't fit thru the bracket or the card hole (pic3) ??
An M3 screw fits fine thru the hole(pic4) but obviously won't screw into the M4 thread in the backplate.
Since I wasn't about to drill out my 3070, I ended up having to buy and M3x12mm screw to make the following (pic5)

placed some loctite on the thread so that over time this doesn't loosen and create a short on my motherboard

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 0
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 0
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Did you find that out yourself or was that the way our support told you?

vinnybear

up and running again i7-12700K + 3070 FTW3 both at 50deg C max with pumps at 50% and fans between 30 > 40%
pretty quiet as a result which is what I was after.

Attachments

• VF.jpg
    VF.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 0