3090 Eiswolf - effect on length

Shinkiro

From NVIDIA's presentation today, it looks like the PCB for the 3080 and 3090 only take up about half of the length of the card. Will the Eiswolf GPU block reduce the total length of the GPU by a significant amount, since there won't be any reason for the fan at the end of the shroud?

If you can't answer that at the moment, can you give us an estimate on when the Eiswolf 2 products for the 3090 will be available?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Okay since the presentation is done we can talk open now. All the blocks and AIO,s for the new 30XX series are produced already. We will go online with the products as soon we got the info about the compability with the different manufacturers. This time there are unusual number of manufacturers who want to come to the market at the same time with the graphics cards. PNY, Colorful, INNO3D, EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gainward and Gigabyte have announced the cards already. So we have to wait a week longer i am affraid :)

RojoNinja

Okay since the presentation is done we can talk open now. All the blocks and AIO,s for the new 30XX series are produced already. We will go online with the products as soon we got the info about the compability with the different manufacturers. This time there are unusual number of manufacturers who want to come to the market at the same time with the graphics cards. PNY, Colorful, INNO3D, EVGA, MSI, Asus, Gainward and Gigabyte have announced the cards already. So we have to wait a week longer i am affraid :)

Are you able to answer if they at least fit the NVIDIA Founders Edition cards? Since it sounds like there wont be an actual "reference" PCB this time around, with only the FE cards using the new 12 pin connector and all AIB cards using either 2x8 or 3x8 pin.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
No the blocks would not fit the Founders Edition cards. FE cards are not reference anymore. I dont know why they have decided to go that way. All the other graphics card are reference design.

Youngtimer

@Metropolis34 Thanks alot for the information. My plan is to buy a custom 3080 with the so called reference design. Maybe Asus TUF, Palit Gaming Pro or so on an than switch to your Eisblock Aurora. Could that work?

mchrissi

If I want to get the Founders Edition card directly to Release, I have no chance to get a cooling block?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
My plan is to buy a custom 3080 with the so called reference design. Maybe Asus TUF, Palit Gaming Pro or so on an than switch to your Eisblock Aurora. Could that work?
At the moment not. All the blocks are only for reference design cards. We need to wait and see the development of the custom design cards on the market.

If I want to get the Founders Edition card directly to Release, I have no chance to get a cooling block?
No not at the moment i am affraid. It was a surprise for us all that th FE is not a reference card anymore.

mchrissi

I just wonder which manufacturer will use the Reference PCB. This is not really apparent from the data sheets.

sickhead racing

I'm kinda new to this...some stupid questions from my side:
So a "custom card" (like basically all the announced ones) still uses a reference PCB?
So "custom" only means "not manufactured by NVIDIA / non FE"?

@Youngtimer posted a helpful picture. Comparing it to the product pictures of the Asus TUF RTX 3080 I don't see the mentioned notch in the PCB.
Does it mean it's not on a reference PCB although @Metropolis34 mentioned ll of the cards are on reference PCB and is there any site or database you guys know where I can find such info?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@sickhead racing
For the new RTX series its like this:

Founders Edition - Nvidia only PCBs

Reference Design - Thats a PCB wich Nvidia gives to the brands, so they can put there own logos and cooler on it, own vram and they can change some details on the PCB. Most Cards will have this design at the start.

Custom Editions - Complete own made PCBs with a complete own design made by the Brands. As i know, only 2-3 RTX cards will come with a complete Custom Design in the first few weeks after Release.

jdamp

So I was going to order a founders 3090 and then water cool it when the blocks come out. From what I'm hearing from this thread I shouldn't do that and get a card from EVGA, MSI, etc. if I plan on using your water block? You have not plans on making a Founders water block cooler correct?

jdamp

Ah good to know. I'm seeing a number of 3rd party board manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, EVGA) having two board designs for the 3090. All of the higher end ones have 3x8 power plugs and the lower end ones have 2x8. The 3x8 plugged cards look a little longer. Any thoughts on this if you will have a cooler for one, or both card types?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are not using the Reference Design, so cooler for those cards will come later. EVGA.... no idea wich PCB design they are using.