4090 ichill Frostbite

darket69

Hoping you might be able to help me. I am now on my second replacement Inno 3d Ichill Frostbite 4090 card.

The problem I am having is extremely high temperatures.

Previously I had a 3090 Strix with a Eisblock and my temperatures never saw over 40 degrees

My system comprises of 2x 45mm 240 rads and a 45mm 360 rads all running push pull with a AC Ultitube Res pump combo.

The problem with this card (as was the first) is that as soon as any load is applied the card spikes to 86 degrees with a 112 degrees hotspot and throttles down to 300mhz. {or there about)

this isn't a problem with my loop, everything is perfect. the problem appears to be a gap between the Gpu die and the Water block (about 2mm) so is this a problem with the water block manufacturing or a problem with Inno 3d's latest reference design ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

darket69

Here is a screenshot of HWinfo 64, clearly this isn't normal behaviour

Attachments

• 20230426_233331.jpg
    20230426_233331.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 5

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

I can´t see any problems with your temperatures. Please note that a RTX4090 can´t be compared with an RTX3090 in terms of temperatures.
THe only thing I can see is that your Hotspot temperature is a little bit high. This can happen when the water block is not mounted as we say in our manual and if you are using a fluid thermal paste and not a viscosity paste like our Subzero. Here is a link to our manual for our water block. I can´t say, how Inno3D is mounting the water block.

darket69

HI,

I can´t see any problems with your temperatures. Please note that a RTX4090 can´t be compared with an RTX3090 in terms of temperatures.
THe only thing I can see is that your Hotspot temperature is a little bit high. This can happen when the water block is not mounted as we say in our manual and if you are using a fluid thermal paste and not a viscosity paste like our Subzero. Here is a link to our manual for our water block. I can´t say, how Inno3D is mounting the water block.

Did you read this bit ?

'The problem with this card (as was the first) is that as soon as any load is applied the card spikes to 86 degrees with a 112 degrees hotspot and throttles down to 300mhz. {or there about)'

its not as if the temperatures slowly rise to 86 degrees, they go from 30 to 86 degrees instantly and the card thermal throttles from around 2300mhz down to 300mhz and the temperature stays the same. that is not normal behaviour.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@darket69
We deliver the coolers to Inno3D, Inno3D does the assembly itself. I suspect that something was not done correctly here when mounting the cooler, but you would have to contact Inno3D directly.
We can only make assumptions. I can imagine that the pads are not properly placed on the components or that too little or too much thermal paste was used. You still have to clarify this with Inno3D.

darket69

@darket69
We deliver the coolers to Inno3D, Inno3D does the assembly itself. I suspect that something was not done correctly here when mounting the cooler, but you would have to contact Inno3D directly.
We can only make assumptions. I can imagine that the pads are not properly placed on the components or that too little or too much thermal paste was used. You still have to clarify this with Inno3D.
Well, after hearing basically nothing back from Inno3d i called Overclockers today and they have been Contacted By inno3d and there is indeed a Faulty batch of cards so they're going to issue a replacement.

However something concerns me a little still. You guys said to me that temps in the region of 86 degrees and throttling should be expected with your water blocks, yet good air coolers are keeping temperatures in the high 60's to low 70's. so what is the point in watercooling a 4090 if the effects of this cooling are negative to the cards performance ?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I think the colleague has misunderstood the whole thing somewhat. Of course, the card should not throttle. The Hotsport temperatures are indeed quite high, but that can have various reasons. The cooler is not properly mounted or the pads or the thermal paste was not applied correctly or the radiator does not get enough fresh air or cannot blow away the warm air properly. This can not be clearly defined off the cuff and without seeing the whole system.