7900XT Waterblock Backplate bowing

Arran

recently fit the reference design sapphire card with AC waterblock, performing perfectly. My only niggle is that the bakcplate seems to bend a fair bit, tighter to the pcb near the sides and higher in the middle. The thermal pad for the back of the pcb near the ports can actually be slid out theres so little pressure neaar the centre, i also didnt put in the Square pad for the tension bracket on the socket as i was worried it might actually cause damage. Any advice?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

could you please send us some photos so that we can check it? Can you also send us photos, where we can check the placement of the thermal pads for the Backplate, too.

Arran

HI,

could you please send us some photos so that we can check it? Can you also send us photos, where we can check the placement of the thermal pads for the Backplate, too.

Hopefully that link works? As i can't take a photo from my phone which the file size is uploadable on here.
You can see 3 of the pads in the image , there's another opposite near the motherboard side. And the square pad I didn't put it which would've been around the chip.

Arran

Was I meant to use the retention bracket? I'm looking over the instructions and it seems that's probably my error, I just assumed that it was important not use the stock retention on the PCB.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

Thanks for the ohoto. You shouldn´t reuse any parts of the original cooler. As I can also see in the photo you have placed at least 2 pads in the wrong place. I have marked them and put an arrow where they should be placed.
1692684979582.png