Active Backplates - The time to wait will end soon!

Hi.
New Year's gifts are in a hurry to us! Finally! ?
Will we see the appearance for specific GPU models at the time of placing the lot? Do I understand correctly that the same will be for the Palit GeForce RTX 3090 GameRock?

church

I predict that they'll try to design one as universal as possible, to better recoup R&D costs, as imho majority of customers, to save money, will keep buying w/o it, sticking with basic backplate in set with main gpu block, thus it makes little business sense to design specific active backplates for even smaller portion of initially smaller niche non-ref design gpus. Prediction #2, that it will come as block in pic, that is to be bolted on basic backplate, which will simplify getting right clearances of elements on backside of card, that basic backplate and thermal pads in-set of main gpu block already are designed to clear.

@church
Fu, fu, fu ... Prediction #2. This is a huge loss of temperature, so I already have it, well, almost :) I hope they did it well, regardless of the option. Still the second attempt.☺️

Last edited:

church

Well, generating mad ideas is one of my ways to pass time/waiting for product :). It looks to me like design and production is done and wait that is left, is for ready blocks to arrive (hopefully not too long due covid impact on logistics), and i'll be able to see soon if my predictions are debunked, and what's more important, if released backplates will fit my card. Though plural wording in pic hints that there might be different models of backplates, which also increases likelihood for one of them to fit versus being just single backplate for eg. reference design gpus.

I think @church is right about AC's commitment to a versatile solution.
Solution 1. Make an overlay block on the basic backplate ... Let's fold the bolts as no one will drill, we are of course crazy guys, but to buy to modify it with our hands ... hey, this is a business, no one will buy, a lot :D So the clamps are already bad. Leaving the basic backplate, it's aluminum! We lose in thermal conductivity and add another transition between the overlay block and the basic backplate.
I conclude that this solution is as versatile as possible, and it has been available from other manufacturers for 4 months already. I think AC didn't do that. :)
Solution 2. Individual activebackplate for each released 3090 series GPU block. The simplification is that the transition from the activebackplate to the GPU block is not a case, but pipes as in the picture.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Well, generating mad ideas is one of my ways to pass time/waiting for product :). It looks to me like design and production is done and wait that is left, is for ready blocks to arrive (hopefully not too long due covid impact on logistics), and i'll be able to see soon if my predictions are debunked, and what's more important, if released backplates will fit my card. Though plural wording in pic hints that there might be different models of backplates, which also increases likelihood for one of them to fit versus being just single backplate for eg. reference design gpus.
You're right, it's all down to the organisation! Quarter 1 2022 will definitely work!

Bullant

So these are getting close, and I just wanted to check as I've seen conflicting information.
I have an Eiswolf 2 AIO on my 3090. Is the plan still to be able to integrate these active backplates with the Eiswolf 2 AIO coolers?

Thomas_S

Staff member
So these are getting close, and I just wanted to check as I've seen conflicting information.
I have an Eiswolf 2 AIO on my 3090. Is the plan still to be able to integrate these active backplates with the Eiswolf 2 AIO coolers?
In general, the integration of the active backplate into the Eiswolf 2 AIO works. However, we do not have a compatible active backplate for every AIO. Which Eiswolf 2 do you use?

Bullant

In general, the integration of the active backplate into the Eiswolf 2 AIO works. However, we do not have a compatible active backplate for every AIO. Which Eiswolf 2 do you use?

That's good to hear, the part number on the invoice is 1020305, it is on a Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 iChill X4

Oh, I didn't realise they had been released! It looks like this should work with my Eiswolf 2, can you please confirm what I need in the way of fittings to integrate it with the Eiswolf 2?

Thomas_S

Staff member
look here, this is the active backplate for your AIO: