Alder Lake - Temperatures

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Basically, this frame does nothing different than our Apex Backplate just from the front. We have not been able to achieve better temperatures with it. Merely 1-2k, nothing more. For the cost, it's not really worth it in my eyes.

Rolocretaw

Has anyone made any progress with the Alder Lake cooling? Currently in the loop is an i7-12700K and RTX3080 waterforce at stock settings. I'm using an Eisbaer LT240 with Alphacool's Liquid Metal Paste (provided in the kit). I also removed the quick-disconnect fitting to improve flow a bit, and because its huge. There is an added dual 60mm Nexxous Radiator as well and I replaced the stock fans with Noctua industrial PPC 3000rpm's, although that's more for added case flow than anything. I realized the flaw of the nuts on back of the kit, and ensured they were well up the bolt before tightening the block. I can stress the GPU only and cool 350watts with the loop, while maintaining 60C max on the GPU points. But when i stress the CPU only, its struggling with 135watts.

When testing, I am seeing CPU package temp jump instantly to 90C+, (CPU temp never go about 80C)
The package temp also behaves a bit erratically jumping around 90C plus or minus 10C (while CPU temp stays consistent at 80C)

I'm considering a few things, but I'd love some opinions before taking apart my SFF case:
-Uneven pressure or not enough pressure
-maybe the backplate needs some help
-Is the OEM liquid metal paste in the Eisbaer240LT kit not good enough?
-Maybe the waterblock fins need to be cleaned and got clogged during the build
-Maybe im just asking too much of the EisbaerLT system / waterblock?
-I dont want to delid, but it seems like this may be the direction needed to fix the immediate spike that starts to dissipate.

Thanks ahead, and Glad to finally joint the discussion! Cheers!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I'm a little surprised because we don't ship products with a liquid metal thermal paste. If one was included here, then it is not an original product from us.

Apart from that, do you have the metal backplate? Or the nylon (plastic) one?