Alphacool Eisbaer 420 CPU & be quiet!DARK BASE PRO 900 ORANGE rev. 2

euclid

Hi all
Newbie going for water cooling )
I'm going to cool intel i9 10920x cpu and need some help.
Read some reviews and appears that Alphacool Eisbaer 420 is good choice for that CPU.
Is that true? No OC is planned.

But here is the problem: hoses are too short for that case, as reviews show.
I'm thinking to replace them with 400mm hoses.
What parts/tools will I need? Can fittings can be reused?
Is there some DIY manual or video?
Thanks!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
You dont need a 420 mm rad for this CPU. A 240 or 240 mm Version is good enough for every CPU on the market. The hoses of the Eisbaer "Aurora" edition has 40 cm long tubes. Maybe that is an option?

euclid

Hi Eddy.
Thanks for response. Are you sure about 240? I read reviews and these show, that this CPU goes over 300W+ under load,
Any way, I would prefer have some area for maneuvre and low noise under general load. Probably I'll add 2080Ti in loop later.

In regard to hoses length - can't find where did I read measurement, sad that it is not in spec https://www.alphacool.com/shop/neue-produkte/21588/alphacool-eisbaer-420-cpu-black
But I trust you. I have read many reviews where people complain about hoses length for this system.
One guy installed it to same case and had to remove MB cover, case FAN and bend hoses, when radiator outputs where on CPU side. Otherwise - can't reach.

Attachments

• 10_small.jpg
    10_small.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 12

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Well... we dont make the prices in other shops.... no idea why it is cheaper.

euclid

One more question. Is it possible to get drawing/blueprint of Aurora 420 with holes and contours measurements?
To double check against case, before buy.

euclid

I'm back with some results and questions :)
The hoses are still too short to install radiator on the top of this case.
It needs something like 3-5cm more. Actually I was able to put pump on CPU, but not as required by manual - window facing upwards.
So I put it on front panel as you can see. Is that valid?

Another question about pump motor power supply.
m/b GIGABYTE X299X Auros Master doesn't have 3-pin connector.
I have connected it to 4-pin CPU_OPT header and set it to operate at full speed, since adapter in package also doesn't provide speed control
Is that valid? I see nearly 2600 rpm Pump speed and 39-40 C CPU temperature with no load and open case.

build_photo.jpg

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
The window has to show up to avoid that air moves in to the pump )it can run dry). You can control this pump only true voltage it has no PWM function. The highest speed of the pump is 2600 rpm. 39/40° on idle is bit high for my taste. Are there no fans on the radiator?

euclid

GB Auros master can control voltage to fans. It has autodetect for control method. By default it sets 1800rpm but T is still 39-40 (?)
So current position of pump is correct? Window is towards top 2 fans.

There are 3 fans pushing to radiator

Attachments

• build_photo1.jpg
    build_photo1.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
39-40° idle? My pump runs also at 1800 rpm and i have idle 30 to 35°. Yes if the window shows up the current possition is correct.

euclid

Actually 39-40° is while in BIOS menus. For some reason CPU runs at 4300MHz. (it's maximum without turbo)
Test installed windows yesterday to run some stress. While idling it runs like 26-28°
Run Intel CPUBurn/Prime95 and CPU gets to 72° after 30 minutes of test. Hoses become warm. Can't get higher.
Looks like CPU has some power management which make clock float in range 3600-4300Mhz
No power/temperature throttling reported.

euclid

Managed to get constant 100% load using passmark BurnInTest together with CPU-Z stress test.
After 1h 30 minutes peak T 79° with TDP 240W in closed case. Seems to be good enough. I'm right?
Case/radiator fans ran at approx 900 rpm measured through case's built in controller. I believe it is some kind of silent mode.

kapnobatai

@euclid I have the same case and was thinking of installing a 420 in it, my question, please: is there no place to mount the 420 on top? I think the little board for front connectors/fan controller can be moved or removed and thus allowing the 420 length but I m not sure about the height.
do you guys know of a built with dark base 900 and a 420 on top and care to share a link please?
many thanks