Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme liquid CPU cooler 280 - black edition for Threadripper 3970x

Tived

Hi,

will this work well together Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme liquid CPU cooler 280 - black edition to cool a Threadripper 3970x?

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL
Motherboard: Gigabyte Designare

new to water cooling and a little scared ;-)

thanks for your insight

Henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
For a Threadripper i would built a DIY Setup. Easier and much better cooling performance. The Eisbaer Extreme has not the best CPU cooler for Threadripper CPUs. The normal XPX cooler wich the Extreme Edition is using is more for Socket 1151 and AM4 Systems.
For this system i would buy a 360 mm ST30 Radiator, as CPU block a Eisblock XPX Pro (doesn`t matter wich one), some TPV fittings and TPV tube and at least a Pump-Reservoir combination like Eisbecher 150 with a VPP755 pump.
And yes, its a bit expensiver than a Eisbaer Extreme, but you will get much more cooling power.

Tived

thanks Eddy,

really appreciate your, i went ahead with the Extreme. I do see your point there. Someone else recommended me the Extreme as a good solution but when I look at all the reviews they have been on everything but the threadripper. Hmm what to do? now (i know it has only been a few hours since I posted!)

Henrik

Tived

would a bigger cpu block help?

i thought this would be a good soft start into water cooling? then add to it later!
Henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We have some Threadripper systems in our Office and all of them are using Eisblock XPX Pro CPU cooler instead of the normal XPX cooler beacuse the XPX Pro is much better for Threadripper. You can buy the Eisbaer Extreme core. Thats the AIO without liquid, tubes, fittings and CPU cooler. Than you can buy 4x fittings, 1m tube and the XPX Pro. You can built everything together very easy. Than you have a Eisbaer Extreme with the right cooler ;-)

Tived

Thanks Eddy that is really kind of you, one last question, If I have to get all this, should i upsize? while I am at it?

looks like a lot of parts ;-)

Henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
In wich way you want to upsize it? In my opinion, i would go for a complete DIY setup. But that makes only a real sense if you like to cool the GPU also with water. Than i would switch to normal readiators and you will need a Reservoir + pump combination. And yes, thats more expensive than the EIsbaer Extreme. But to be honest... 90% of the people who start with water cooling would never switch back to air cooling.

Tived

Hi Eddy,

thanks, not ready for a full water cooling system yet :unsure: and yet, I have a unit on its way! ?.
As I don't have the GPU that I would like to finish off with - probably the 3090, that will be next year when COVID is hopefully over and we can return to work.

I wasn't ready for any water cooling to be honest :oops:. but I was being convinced that the Alphacool Extreme was the way to go for the Threadripper, use it as it, with the TRX bracket - I can see that the CPU block doesn't fill the whole CPU (Bummer). The I was thinking I could add this one from Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+

Optimus - Absolute Threadripper 3 cpu block.png and now looking at your suggestion too!

but I can see I am getting myself into some deep water with too many sharks...

It was already pushing the $$$, only wanted the threadripper for the extra PCIe lanes ;-) looks like what I saved on the 3970x is now going to cooling ;-)

pulling out my remaining hair soon as I really don't know what I am doing here with water cooling and I have already made a few too many mistakes, buying the wrong thing trying to replace and will eventually have to sell to cover my cost.

so by going bigger... the Extreme is 280mm, should I go beyond this with a 360 or 420, how big a Reservoir? what tubes and connectors? can you get quick release to make it easier to manage? or is there even such as thing as easy in Water cooling, it looks very impressive

how cool can I get it? or how cool do i need it to be?

sorry for the many questions and thanks in advance for your help and assistance

Henrik

Tived

Hi eddy,

thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I am nearly there, will let you know how I go and what it looks like

henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Aquatuning is sitting in germany, a few km away from us. They have shops in different countrys. But they ship from germany.

Tived

on their website, it says they are in Victoria, Australia.

but when I checked the postage from both their German store and Australia it was exactly the same. I had hoped we would have a "local" supplier for your products but I guess it is such a specialty with very little demand.

anyway, Performance-PC have been good to me over the past 10 years!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Aquatuning had somebody in australia for RMA but they sent the stuff from germany. They dont have a warehouse in australia thats something i know 100%. Performance-PC is one of our bigger partner and we know the owner very well. We had a lot of meetings with them in the last few years :)

It is hard to find a reseller in australia because we have nobody directly in australia. So we are searching from germany and thats not really easy. Australia and canada are the last important countrys where we are looking for a good distributor/reseller. All other countrys are fine.

Tived

what about someone like Mwave (they are huge "by Australian standards", or Leaders Computers (last one is a wholesaler) I used to work for Netplus back in the 90's not sure if they are still on both east and west coast

Performance-PC are fantastic, I get better service from them then from anyone here in Australia (they can even deliver faster then a local supplier!

anyway, I would like to thank you for your help as well - ultimately i have bought 90% your products for my cooling (i did go for the Optimus for the cpu block) i didn't want LED's!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I sent an info to our seller team, not sure if they have spoken with Mwave. Thanks for this info. :)

I can understand, that you dont want to have RGB stuff... i personally also dont use any LEDs in my system. I only want good temperatures and less noise :) Maybe i am too old for all of that RGB stuff ? ? ?