Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3070 - Heatsink removed without contact with installed water block & Inlet vs Outlet

neelj123

Hello all,

A couple of questions if someone has experience with the GPX-N RTX 3070 on the MSI Ventus 2x OC.

I have installed the block in my machine, but I do not remember if there were markings stating which were the inlet vs outlet? Sorry for the silly question!

Secondly, when installing the water block, I removed two small heatsinks from the card, one long and one short. The water block has thermal pad and contact with the components under the longer heatsink, but not the shorter. I have tried to explain in the attached image - the red boxes show where the small heatsink was removed and where it is not in contact with the water block, and blue is the similar longer heatsink and attached pads and contact with cooler.

Hope I have explained this well but I wanted to check that this omission is by design?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.36.25.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.36.25.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.36.35.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.36.35.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 19

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Would you be so kind as to check whether the cooler with the heatsinks fits on the components? Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to talk to the developers who made the cooler.

neelj123

Hello, no it doesn't sadly - the heatsink presses on the acrylic even before tightening any screws. I have attached a picture of the two heatsinks.

I also noticed that the manual clearly shows the 3d model of the assembly without the contact with the chips so I'm assuming (hoping) it's by design, I have tried to show this on the second picture.

I am trying to avoid removing the card as I have attached the tubing but let me know if it would be helpful to do so.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 09.46.33.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 09.46.33.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 09.48.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 09.48.41.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 12

neelj123

I have managed to take some very blurry wide angle lens shots of the area I am mentioning;

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 13

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Please stay tuned. I need to talk with a developer about this. Can do this later today. Give me a bit time please. That is strange.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ok, i talked with the developing team. That is a fault. We will stop selling this cooler now. We are right now not sure if you can use that cooler because like you said, the vrm`s on this position need to be cooled. So please dont use that cooler.
Did you bought that cooler from us directly?

neelj123

OK, thank you for checking. I am based in the UK and bought it from aquatuning.co.uk - are they affiliated with you?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Thanks for your help :) . We are checking right now if that is a big fault or if we can fix that in an easy way. That vrm are for your RAM and they dont have much waste of heat. So maybe its enough to put a thermalpad on the backside wich is in contact with the backplate. We are checking that right now with a very similar 3070 wich has the same layout on this position. We will have the results in ~ 2 houres.

Mitxh

Thanks for your help :) . We are checking right now if that is a big fault or if we can fix that in an easy way. That vrm are for your RAM and they dont have much waste of heat. So maybe its enough to put a thermalpad on the backside wich is in contact with the backplate. We are checking that right now with a very similar 3070 wich has the same layout on this position. We will have the results in ~ 2 houres.
I also have this block, can you update me on if i should be using this part or not

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If you have the cooler, please write an email to our support team: info@alphacool.com
We have now a solution ready. You need only to put a thermapad on the backseid of the PCB. You will get a small manual and the thermalpad for free from our support team.