Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl RTX 4080 AMP - 13549

Arawn

Hi

I have a question about the thermal pads included with this waterblock.

On the GPU side, there is only a single strip included for each line of VRMs, but as you can see in your own product ID photo, the factory cooler includes pads on the PWMs as well. On the backplate side, because of the placement of the ICs, the single strip doesn't adequately cover all the ICs (the factory strips are wider, as well as there not being anything for the IC on the 4th side.

For comparison, the "other companies" waterblock instructions show a much greater area of IC coverage.

As I was initially missing a set of washers, I'm wondering if perhaps the wrong set of thermal pads was included in the packaging I received with my block.

Is it ok to run the card with so much less thermal pads than factory?

Arawn

Following that version of the manual is how I installed the cooler. My question is why there is much more coverage on the factory cooler if Zotac hadn't deemed it necessary.

Let's start with the backplate, since there are no pad thickness issues, just location.

From the manual
back ins.jpg
Part M being 40x8x3mm. Part M either needs to be cut and placed manually, or 2 of the 3 strips need to be replaced with 40x15x3mm, and 1 piece will still need to be cut off the right side to cover the IC on the lower side, as indicated in the picture below.
back cb coverage.jpg

As you can see from the picture of the front, both the VRMs and PWMs had pads on them. Shouldn't they still both be cooled?
front cb.jpgfront cooler 2.jpg

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

the pads for the backplate are only for more pressure to the front. They are not placed to transfer any heat to the Backplate. The coils on the frontside shouldn´t be cooled to avoid the annoying coilwhine. Why most manufacturer are placing there thermal pads I can´t say. We don´t place any thermal pads there and our water blocks doesn´t have any problems with coil whine like other manufacturer. here is a very good link, which is describing the coild wine probleme and how to solve it. Unfortunately only in German but maybe google translate can translate it for you.