Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Geforce RTX 4090 AMP with Backplate thermal issues

Shkiz0

Hello Alphacool team!
I would have some problems with an "Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Geforce RTX 4090 AMP with Backplate" block.
I wrote an email before, but I didn't get an answer for 1 week.

The story.
On 04/06/2023, I ordered a block (Nr.: B 2911121) for my card from Aquatuining.de.
After I got it and put it together I got high temps and it looked like the block was not flat in the GPU area.
I contacted my contact person (the order was made by email, as it was a company purchase)
Within a short time, it was replaced with another block. (F10491972)
Visually, this block was perfect. However, I also got high temperatures with this.
With the added pads, the memory was 42 degrees for both blocks under load, but the GPU was ~90 degrees, while the Hotspot temperature was ~110 degrees.
I disassembled and reassembled the block several times, nothing changed.
At that point, I started to guess that something was going to happen with the PCB, because I didn't think it was likely that both blocks would be faulty.
That's when I got the idea to try thermal pads of different heights. As a test, I replaced the factory 1mm pads with Thermal Grizzly 0.5mm pads, and the situation became much better. During the tests, the GPU is only ~42 degrees, the HS ~48, but the memory is 62-70 degrees depending on the load.
I suspect that the factory-made 1mm pad is too high for my PCB, so there is no proper contact, but the 0.5mm pad is not enough.
As a tip, the 0.75-0.8mm pad would be ideal.
But I didn't really find that. I don't have any problems with the factory air cooling, I get good temperatures with it.

Factory cooler AIR
original_air_cooler.jpg

Install thermal pad (1mm) AC block
factory_pads_install_1 (Nagy).jpgfactory_pads_install_2 (Nagy).jpgfactory_pads_install_3 (Nagy).jpgfactory_pads.jpgminimal_bubble.jpg

Imprint 1mm pad:
factory pads disassembled_2nd_imprint (Nagy).jpg

Install thermal pad (0.5 TG)
TG_pads_before_install (Nagy).jpgTG_pads.jpg

WC konfig:
EK Velocity2
EK D5 Next
10/16 soft tubing
AC Supernova 1260

What can you recommend to ensure that the temperature of the memory is also perfect?
Is it possible to send me pads with a thickness different from the factory pad?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

as I can see on your photos are the imprints from the thermal paste and pads very good and that isn´t the problem.

Could you tell me your water temperature, pump RPM and RPM of your fans and which fans are you using?

Shkiz0

HI,

as I can see on your photos are the imprints from the thermal paste and pads very good and that isn´t the problem.

Could you tell me your water temperature, pump RPM and RPM of your fans and which fans are you using?

Water temp 26.2c
D5 100% (tried between 50-100%)
Vents (Arctic P12 9x) 75%

In normal operation mode (as I'm still using it now), the D5 runs at 75%, and the fans on the radiator at 40%.
I can currently use it with the TG 0.5mm pads, the GPU and HS temperatures are perfect even after hours of gaming, only the memory is 20-25C higher than it should be.
I also tried TG 1mm pads, the situation was a bit better than with the factory AC pads, but I still got warmer temperatures than if I used the factory air cooling.
TG_1mm.jpg

Fresh test. (0.5mm TG)
actual (Nagy).jpg

Last edited:

ashlol

thanks for the feedback exact same issue with a zotac 4080 trinity OC I mounted the alphacool eisblock 4080 amp aurora block and directly saw worse temperature than air cooling will use 0.75mm pad. I found some at gpufix.de (just recut it at needed size) https://www.gpufix.de/en/Fehonda-Thermal-pad-15W-mk-pads-thermal-0-75mm.html
I can't believe that alphacool is selling wrong pad with their block, I saw good review online of your block but this is really a bad experience

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@ashlol
Our water blocks has been designed for 1mm Pads and included are our Rise Ultra Soft 7W/mK Pads. Why some GPU`s from a Series have problems and other not I can´t say. I am thinking that the GPU DIE itself is sitting lower on some PCB´s, which will cause that they have not enough contact, with a part of the area. Please send us some photos from the imprints on the thermal pads and paste and also a screenshot from HWinfo to check it.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Due to the feedback from some customers and the follow-up inspection of the RTX40xx graphics cards that are currently on the market, we had to determine that the tolerances in the package height of the graphics cards in circulation can be higher than in the models known at the start.
Therefore, we now offer alternative thermal pads for all customers concerned, which compensate for the tolerances. The pads correspond in their performance to the usual pads with 7W/mk.

Please send an e-mail to info@alphacool.com with a copy of the invoice for the cooler (if purchased from us, the order number is also sufficient) and the exact name of your graphics card.

As the new pads are still in delivery, we ask for a little patience. We will send the new pads as soon as they reach us. We expect to start shipping in about 2 weeks.

We will equip all existing coolers with these new pads in the future to be better prepared for such cases.

ashlol

Here are new results with the 0.75mm pads I just received and thermal are now perfect with these pads so indeed 1mm pads were the issue. (I had a little over 75°C gpu and 95°C hotspot, but the memory was really cold at 40°C with 1mm pads)
4080.jpg
I played 1h and with slow fan and pump speed I have good thermals as you can see above 55.4°C max for gpu and 52°C for ram and 68.8°C for the hot spot with the game using 430W peak and 200W average.
And a little less in timespy extreme with full pump and fan speed 53.5°C for gpu and 48°C for memory with a big OC +250MHz on gpu and +1200MHz on ram.
timespyextreme.jpg
Due to the feedback from some customers and the follow-up inspection of the RTX40xx graphics cards that are currently on the market, we had to determine that the tolerances in the package height of the graphics cards in circulation can be higher than in the models known at the start.
Therefore, we now offer alternative thermal pads for all customers concerned, which compensate for the tolerances. The pads correspond in their performance to the usual pads with 7W/mk.

Please send an e-mail to info@alphacool.com with a copy of the invoice for the cooler (if purchased from us, the order number is also sufficient) and the exact name of your graphics card.

As the new pads are still in delivery, we ask for a little patience. We will send the new pads as soon as they reach us. We expect to start shipping in about 2 weeks.

We will equip all existing coolers with these new pads in the future to be better prepared for such cases.
thanks to alphacool for this answer I really think that's the best outcome for us customers.