Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm RTX 3090 critical temperatures.

AGaming+

Good afternoon, I finally got my water cooling. Honestly, I was very happy and waited for the guys to change the factory air for water. But what was my disappointment - when I turned on my PC. And I saw the temperature. That in any applications and games, the memory heats up to 107 - 110 degrees. My Palit GeForce RTX ™ 3090 GamingPro even in summer - when the heat was +35 degrees outside. My video card did not get hotter than 96 degrees in the air. And then just disappointment. The back of the card gets incredibly hot. Although the front is barely warm. Can anyone advise what to do in this case ???

3090_2.jpg3090.jpg

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi & thank you for your feedback. Do you have the possibility to send us pictures of your PCB (front & back)? The pads must be visible together with the imprints of the components. Due to the package problem that Nvidia has with 3080/3090 cards, it is possible that certain components do not have sufficient contact to the pads. Here is a link to IgorsLab, which explains the problem in detail.

AGaming+

Hi & thank you for your feedback. Do you have the possibility to send us pictures of your PCB (front & back)? The pads must be visible together with the imprints of the components. Due to the package problem that Nvidia has with 3080/3090 cards, it is possible that certain components do not have sufficient contact to the pads. Here is a link to IgorsLab, which explains the problem in detail.

Good afternoon, today your official partner changed the thermal pads on the front side, which were 1 mm, by 1.5 mm, and the temperature dropped by 5-10 degrees. In stress tests, from 106 C to 96 C, but in some applications I still see 106 C, although it was more than 110 C before. I will think about how to reduce the temperatures further. I will ask the guys to send me a video of my video card disassembly.

3090_1_5mm.jpg

Last edited:

DarkBytes

this is very interesting , The T junction of my card (gigabyte RTX3090 gaming OC) on air reaches 95 to 96' when stressed ( which is ok ish).

I wanted to try and reduce this ( as well as GPU temps) with the new Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm, but whilst it seems its great at lowering GPU temps it doesn't appear to help with mem temps on the back of the card and may actually make them worse ?

are you guys considering making an active backplate ?

AGaming+

this is very interesting , The T junction of my card (gigabyte RTX3090 gaming OC) on air reaches 95 to 96' when stressed ( which is ok ish).

I wanted to try and reduce this ( as well as GPU temps) with the new Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm, but whilst it seems its great at lowering GPU temps it doesn't appear to help with mem temps on the back of the card and may actually make them worse ?

are you guys considering making an active backplate ?

Today I once again disassembled the card and replaced the thermal pads themselves. On the expensive Thermalright Odyssey Thermal PAD 1.5 mm, which allowed me to lower the temperature a little more. But I ran mining tests. And the temperature was still very high. Already about 98 - 100 degrees at maximum ETH settings, I can also say that the radiator begins to fail to cope with the cooling of the liquid. And it gets very warm. How I solved this problem. I directed another fan to the backplate and glued 4 heatsinks there through a thermal pad. I also put another fan on the radiator grill. This was able to lower the temperature by another 5 to 7 degrees.

I can say for sure - if you are mining, then this cooling will not help you. No active back. But even if you put the active side on the backside. You need to think about how best to cool the fluid in the system.

3090_1_5mmNew.jpg

Emkay89

yep i have the same problem here, i replaced the thermal pads on the gpu side with gelid pads 1,5mm. before that i had 104c in valley benchmark and gaming.... which i didnt want to run for too long. after swapping the pads the temps went down to 90 to 92 degree celcius in valley benchmark.
1mm wasnt fitting and thermaltakes 1.5mm pads were too stiff and too high.
1mm pads were too small and didnt have any contact to the memory at all.
so if 1mm is too small and 1.5 is to much. the ideal size for stiff pads should be around 1.3mm. but there is no way you can get that size in thermal pads. so at this point you have to take 1.5mm gelid pads which are squishy and do a great job i think.
if you lower the power limit to 90% you get roughly the same performance and clocks with stock coolers. which was my goal from the beginning, and then work my way up (if at all).

i mitigated the problems on the gpu side. i think that one memory module is not connecting properly to the pad on the backplate side.
with palit cards its hard to tell. they have like 3 revisions of the same card and every revision has different heights.

the next step is to order some 2mm and 3mm gelid pads for the backplate. and see if squishy pads are going to help with the memory on the backplate. the pads that come with the cooler itself are kinda ,,meh". very stiff and not good to work with. the 1mm pads are a bit softer, which i cannot tell anything about, they didnt match my ,,memory to cooler" height, but i have read somewhere that they are 3w/mk which is a bit less for a card of this caliber.

Last edited:

Emkay89

here is some cyberpunk on 2k with max settings everywhere and no DLSS and such things.
gpu temp is settling at around 70 degree, which is 10 degree cooler than the stock cooler.
and memory junction is 94 degree, which is okay. better than 104 degree...
the main reason for me was to get rid of that stock cooler, the fans on the stock cooler are extremly loud.

im not sure, but are 72 degree on a AIO gpu watercooler normal? i cannot find any tests for a 3090...
had several gpus with watercooling and none of them ever hit 72c on core on water... weird.

Attachments

• gpu.jpg
    gpu.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Emkay89

update:
i think a made a mistake, i dont know how that happened but sometimes things just go wrong. i would never thought i would do a mistake like this after building computers for 15 years...

my rad is front mounted (dont worry, tubes are facing down!). apparently my case (which is a thermaltake view31 TG - DONT BUY) has bad intake airflow on the front. i removed the front panel and WHOPS i saw a 10 degree lower temp on valley benchmark. then i tested cyberpunk again, max settings no dlss and 1440p. which is hard on the gpu. my temps dropped by 13-14 degree celcius both for gpu and for the junction temp.

after 1 week of trial and error it was just a simple thing. i had a completly watercooled pc inside this case and never had problems...
gonna mod the front panel of the case for some ventilation...
for now the headache is over and i can finally play some video games :)
the only thing left now is to replace the thermal pads on the backplate side and maybe even cool it with some passive copper heatsinks and modify a 120mm fan onto it...
i think im gonna write a full how to install this thing for idiots like me.... this thing is really tricky. even for veterans.... im reading and hearing not so good things about this cooler because of the different gpu manufacturer tolerances. and its really a tricky thing do to. once you get it together with the proper pads and good ventilation. its actually really good...
installing a gpu block is usually taking the pads. slap them on the spots, thermal paste, screws and ready.
i dismantled this thing 6 times. to get it working....

the most important thing i learned from this? do not buy palit graphic cards... they suck. no warranty after cooler change etc etc.

Attachments

• workslikeacharm.jpg
    workslikeacharm.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

DarkBytes

hey dude, thanks for the info and glad it seems to be working out.

my GPU is not that bad, ( gigabyte rtx 3090 gaming OC) running 3dmax port royal benchmark , the highest my GPU hits is 65 and the memory t junction maxes out at 82 (from HWinfo) , on air these are good numbers though as with all 3090's the memory runs hot , but compared to others i have seen this is pretty good. But I have decided to go for water-cooling the GPU and as it was the only one i could find with active backplate cooling , i have gone for the Bykski waterblock for the Gigabyte 3080 / 3090, so it means a lot of messing around, going for 2 360 rads and a water plate distro, for me its about getting the noise down as best i can .

Emkay89

yea darkbytes having 82 degree C on memory with an air cooler is pretty good!
dont go for Bykski. did not hear any good from them for their 3090 blocks. it depends a bit on which gpu it is.
so better get some information about your gpu and Bykski block before buying.

stay prepared, get yourself some proper thermal pads! the ones i use for the underside of my gpu are gelid pads 1.5mm.
they are squishy and do a good job as you can see in the picure above.

the problem about these 3090 cards is that you can get them apart easily, but changing the thermal pads, getting everything correct is some kinda hussle. never experienced this before... so better be prepared and get yourself some thermal pads in 1mm, 1.5 and 2mm :)

getting the noise down is one of my reasons as well. the gpus coming with these stock coolers nowadays are all bad.
many reviews say that they are silent or ,,not so loud". but going after a review is just wasted in my opinion. the palit rtx 3090 gaming pro oc had a review where the reviewer said its silent. i bought it, installed it. and NAH, im not gonna play like this. i endured the pain of playing next to a loud gaming pc for like 6 month. it was just way too loud. the fans are whining and crying. i could hear the fans from the gpu throu my headset, which is not a good by any means.

anyways! i wish you good luck and hope you get everything working perfect first try on your watercooled build!

Last edited: