Always measure your GPU height to choose the right thermopads thickness!

BoloDia

Hi,

I installed Core block on my TUF 4090 and GPU temps. were horrible on very small load. Thank god I started with a very small load otherwise my Ada would explode.

Here is how EVERY user should determine the ideal thickness of the pads:

My TUF 4090 required 0.52mm pads whereas Alphacool recommends 1mm pads. Guys, it is simply insane. I guess every GPU batch may differ when it comes to the package height. It should be clearly stated in the user manual that the pad thickness should be determined individually.

If I were Alphacool I would indicate that fact in the user manual as I would not want to pay for the exploded 4090s.

Thanks!

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

as we have stated in a different thread, are some custom layouts not following the official tolerances from Nvidia. THis can cause that some GPU´s doesn´t have enough contact with our water block. If you had contacted us, we would have send you special thermal pads, which can solve the problem.

IcyStorm

Hi Vanzin,
If all that small details where in our manuals, we would not blame at Alphacool right a way, but seek a solution right? We are all reasonable people here...I spend hours investigating why i have high hot spot temps, without understanding what is going on... The worst is all solutions came from your forum and people in it...

BoloDia

I had Alphacool 3090 TUF waterblock and now I have Alphacool 4090 TUF. None of them had required thermalpad thickness which was indicated by Alphacool. 3090 required thicker ones and 4090 required thinner ones. If you have good GPU and VRAM temps. on the included thermalpads then you can consider yourself lucky. Guys, always measure!

IcyStorm

I have high temps(on hot spot only) 95C++ on high loads only - CP27 etc. Most ppl with waterblocks dont have that problems...