Build-my-own AIO for watercooling a gigabyte 6900xt?

firelight

Hello! I recently got a 6900xt that has been getting a bit toasty - mostly due to a tight fit and poor airflow in my case. Planning on upgrading the rest of the system in about a year, but until then I'd like to keep the 6900xt cooler. I've been looking to get an AIO... but all of alphacools AIOs have an integrated 360mm radiator, which is too big for my case. But a 240mm radiator would fit perfectly.

I was wondering if it is feasible to construct my own 'AIO' with the following:
1x NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm radiator V.2
1x Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon RX 6800XT/6900XT Gaming OC with Backplate
2 fans, a pump, and some tubing/fittings...
And it would be fine just filling it up with liquid with no need for a reservoir.

Was hoping to get something upgradable that could displace heat, so I could move into a new system within the year and integrate this pseudo-AIO into a larger loop with CPU cooling and probably a liquid reservoir.

Any advice? Specifically on the tubing/fittings/pumps. I'm pretty sure I have the correct radiator and eisblock, just not sure how to connect them and push fluid.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
You definitely need a reservoir. Even every AIO has a mini-reservoir internally so that air can not g et to the pump, otherwise it will be extremely noisy and broken.
And you still need to be able to fill the circuit. The few solutions on the net without a reservoir are brave and definitely not recommended. In the long run, there will only be massive problems.

pdifolco

Else you could buy an Eiswolf2 for your GPU and then change the rad for a smaller one (that has a fill port).. kind of a waste admittedly but not sure it'll end up that more expensive, and rather simpler to build...

firelight

Else you could buy an Eiswolf2 for your GPU and then change the rad for a smaller one (that has a fill port).. kind of a waste admittedly but not sure it'll end up that more expensive, and rather simpler to build...
So this was what I was thinking about - I'd absolutely save the 360mm radiator for my next build and integrate it into a larger loop, but it's definitely a larger investment that what I hoped. Any way to know if a radiator has a fill port? And bouncing off of what Eddy mentioned - is there a way to add a small reservoir so the pump isn't damaged? Other than, like, extra tubing or another random radiator?

Tiny edit: Just realized this thing exists, specifically made for an empty 5.25" drive slot, WHICH I HAVE! Alphacool Repack Single Bayres 5,25"
Is this more than sufficient as a reservoir?

pdifolco

So this was what I was thinking about - I'd absolutely save the 360mm radiator for my next build and integrate it into a larger loop, but it's definitely a larger investment that what I hoped. Any way to know if a radiator has a fill port? And bouncing off of what Eddy mentioned - is there a way to add a small reservoir so the pump isn't damaged? Other than, like, extra tubing or another random radiator?

Tiny edit: Just realized this thing exists, specifically made for an empty 5.25" drive slot, WHICH I HAVE! Alphacool Repack Single Bayres 5,25"
Is this more than sufficient as a reservoir?

I think all Nexxos rads have a fill port, but you can check on the store. At least the ones sold with the Eiswolf2 have one (as the waterblock don't have any, not like the CPU Eisbaer)
And there are some small pumps and reservoir like the VPP655 and Eisdecke, but that isn't needed if you just downsize the rad of an Eiswolf2, only if you get a non AIO waterblock . IMHO an Eiswolf2 + a 240mm rad will be ok for a 6900XT except on massive overclock, my 320W non OCable 3080 on a 360 rad is max 60C with fans under 50%...