Can someone clear up some G1/4 fitting differences maybe ?

tek3195

Why are the fittings on my Eisbaer pump/res different from any other g1/4 fitting ? The threads are about twice as long as g1/4 fittings from radiators. Why is there a gasket in the housing when BSPP threads are supposed to seal with the o-ring. If the unit that I have uses the gaskets to seal the connection then any standard g1/4 fitting will have to leak as the length of threaded section is different. Wait a minute, or is it possible that the g1/4 fittings supplied with my radiator have shorter than standard threads ? The comparison came when I first got it and was replacing tubes with clear and installing red logo in pump/res. The four brass fittings and fill plug were all removed and sitting across the table from me and the difference was obvious. So whatever I received has substandard parts no matter how you look at it. I guess the biggest thing I need to know is if a standard fitting will fit without leaking when installed in the Eisbaer pump/res combo ? The other question would be, why am I having to ask the first question ?

davido_labido

I believe you may be referring to the thread length, rather than the thread type?

A G1/4" thread is more to do with the width and pitch of the thread, rather than the length. Most fittings are around 5mm in length, however, we use a lot of different fittings based on the requirements.

The internal gaskets are for the flush fittings we have started to use on recent products. These fittings don't have an o-ring and compress the internal gasket to stop leaks instead. This is particuarly useful in our V2 radiators as regardless of which port you use, the radiator will still sit completely flush.

Now, to answer your question about standard fittings, if they have a thread length of <5mm, they will fit both types of ports and the o-ring on the fitting will create the seal.

tek3195

I believe you may be referring to the thread length, rather than the thread type?

A G1/4" thread is more to do with the width and pitch of the thread, rather than the length. Most fittings are around 5mm in length, however, we use a lot of different fittings based on the requirements.

The internal gaskets are for the flush fittings we have started to use on recent products. These fittings don't have an o-ring and compress the internal gasket to stop leaks instead. This is particuarly useful in our V2 radiators as regardless of which port you use, the radiator will still sit completely flush.

Now, to answer your question about standard fittings, if they have a thread length of <5mm, they will fit both types of ports and the o-ring on the fitting will create the seal.
I haven't seen flush fittings, but sounds like what I may wan't for flow indicator. Where I want to mount it, and the way I want to do it the fill port hits my side glass panel. I was thinking about using some standoffs to move panel out enough to clear it. A flush fitting plug would be great although it probably won't work with square flow indicator. I'd still like to look at some of them anyway. Got a link for the flush fittings ?