Compatibility of D5 Core RAM cooler with DDR5 RDIMM

Vatharian

As in the subject - can I use the D5 DDR5 modules with LRDIMM/RDIMMs (Registered DIMMs, or server memory, they are different from desktop UDIMM modules, and pin-incompatible). The DDR5 RDIMM modules have pretty prominent VRM elements on the center of the module, with thickness of up to 2 mm on each side, with total thickness at the center of almost 5 mm.
I would like to attach them to D-RAM X4 block, They get pretty toasty (~10W/module), and with watercooled CPU there is very little air movement around the area, and I am running into memory throttling with heavier workloads.

And if not - are there any dedicated to RDIMM ones?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

I am sorry but the DDR5 RAM coolers are not compatible with LRDIMM/RDIMMs.

Vatharian

Thank you!

Do you think it would be possible to mod the coolers, for examply by adding a shim to widen the distance between side plates and thicker thermal pads?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
I am sorry but I can´t say, if it will be possible to modify the product. Something like this, will also void your warranty.

Vatharian

why not compatible
Due to marked components - part of integrated PMIC. These components stick out 2 millimeters above PCB on each side, bringing total thickness over what D-RAM can accommodate - you can't slide the plates further apart.

Attachments

• 1691994146096.png
    1691994146096.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 2