Coolants, Radiators, & Cleaning

Jp_508

Just completed my first custom water loop & pressure test, all good so far. No coolant added as yet.

I went with all Alphacool products: Radiator - full copper 280mm ST30, Water Block - Chrome Eisblock water block (Silver & Black), Connectors/Fittings - Eiszapfen fitting/connectors, Tubing solid black.

Think I may have gotten ahead of myself, is it necessary to run distilled water through my loop first to make sure all impurities are removed? I saw an old YT video from a few year back that mentioned Alphacool doesn't rinse/clean their radiators before packaging them up for sale, any truth to this? Can I just proceed to filling the system with coolant?

On another note if running distilled water first then drain it, there will always be some distilled water in the loop, is it ok to add the coolant with what little distilled water is left in the loop?

All help/info greatly appreciated, thanks for reading...jp

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

we are recommending to flush the radiators with distilled water, before installing them to remove possible production residue.

Jp_508

HI,

we are recommending to flush the radiators with distilled water, before installing them to remove possible production residue.
Ok great, when adding distilled water how long do I run the loop before draining & adding coolant?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

you flush components before you install them. When they are already installed the flushing is meaningless, since the possible production residue will than already clog the system.

Jp_508

HI,

you flush components before you install them. When they are already installed the flushing is meaningless, since the possible production residue will than already clog the system.
Oh Boy...Not what I wanted to hear. I thought that being brand new wouldn't be an issue. If anything I was thinking the radiator was the only thing to be concerned about, guess not. This means I have to dismantle my entire system and rinse everything out and start again. Not happy right now. Guess I only have myself to blame, seen many YT videos about first time builds/mistakes but they never talk about flushing the loop before installation. The first I heard about this I caught an Optimum Tech vid last week, he mentioned it with his build, hence my concern. I guess its just common knowledge to seasoned builders. I did my research but missed the part about flushing first. Thanks for your input.

If I decide to change the tubing at a later date to clear & run a color which is the best in your opinion that will be maintenance free/hassle free, a transparent color or non transparent color? I like the non transparent color but feel it would clog the loop due to the viscosity & a clear color would be best, your thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated. And what would you recommend, I've heard that certain colors turn the clear tubing yellow after time.

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

Our products are preflushed but it can always be that some products residue or dust from the storage.
As liquid we always recommend clear and transparent liquid like our Tec Protect 2. We don´t recommend coloured liquids, since they will clog a system and they can also cause damage to the components.

Jp_508

HI,

Our products are preflushed but it can always be that some products residue or dust from the storage.
As liquid we always recommend clear and transparent liquid like our Tec Protect 2. We don´t recommend coloured liquids, since they will clog a system and they can also cause damage to the components.
Thanks for your input, apologies for not responding sooner to your post, it didn't show up in m my email. I just happen to be signed in today.