Cooling TRX40 3960X

algemenebuurman

Hi, i'm new to watercooling and planning on building a 4U serverrack with a Threadripper 3960X as a videoserver.

I looked at the Eisblock XPX Pro 1U and want to use that one. But i don't know what pump, resevoir and radiator i need. What is the capacity of a radiator, Threadripper can get hot and has a 280W TDT.

Maybe i need to cut the front of my case to fit a Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme liquid cooler core 280 - black edition in the front. And make a custom frontpanel. Or can i use 2 seperate 14cm coolers in series? do'nt have a lot of space.

This is the case i bought: http://www.multicase.de/de/products/19/ipcg438.html But maybe have to switch to another one?

The loop has to be "travelproof" cause it need to go with me on gigs and tours.

Thanks Elvin

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi Elvin,
Have you checked our Enterprise Solution Server products? Please check the link below:

If you provide us an email with your address and name we can create an offer and let you know with the needed parts. Thank you.

algemenebuurman

Thats a good one, it looks solid. Maybe i have to clear the front of the case and plce the radiator overthere. Build a custom frontpanel for air intake.

algemenebuurman

All the hardware just arrived so i can measure everything

I'm allready mailing with Tim Lambrecht, so i hope he wil get me a offer

thanks!

Paul Oblomov

Same question from me :)

I found it quite complicated using your site. Not that watercooling-noob friendly.

As far as I can see - we just take AIO internal sets, throw away the block itself, changing it to tr4 sp3 and that's it, right ?

My rig is the same - 3960x/3090 with top 360 rad (65mm height max, using phanteks 500a).

I really need something, that won't bother me with pump clicks etc. Like silent performance, with tasks like rendering/simulating throughout the day.

Something like this right ? Looking at ek too, atm. Their configurator looks very useful for a noob like me :)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If you buy a set like you linked, yes, you need only to change the XPX cooler from this set against a XPX Pro cooler (Doesn`t matter wich one), thats it.

A configurator is a great thing, but it can also end up displaying something completely wrong. Depending on the enclosure and construction, you may need angled connections or a different AGB so that everything fits. For a system with tubes, this is usually not dramatic, but for hard tubes at the latest, a configurator is of no use.
Admittedly, we have a configurator, but it is on hold due to other and more important projects. Whether we will ever finish it is still open due to some problems I mentioned here. We actually wanted to work around these problems somehow, but we don't see a solution at the moment.

Paul Oblomov

Great, thx.

Another q - when googling around I found that there's some thoughts, about the direction of cooling fins and their size. Especially for TR. Can't find any info on alphacool fins size etc. Do you have any info on that regard ?

Also, another noob question - so the waterblock itself can be replaced with any other vendors blocks, correct ? So, f.e. I want to try a friend of mine waterblock (like heatkiller), with all the pumps and stuff from alphacool. Will that cause any troubles to me ?

P.S. BTW do you have similar kit, but for TR ? Maybe it is somewhere deep inside the site...

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We dont have special Threadripper sets because the most people with Threadrippers like to buy spcial parts for a DIY setup.

The XPX PRO cooler were developed directly for Threadripper processors. The cooling fin problem only affects coolers that were not actually developed specifically for Threadripper, but many have taken normal coolers and simply extended them. We don't have anything like that. The cooling fins completely cover the range of the DIEs and also go beyond that.

But here a picture of the bootom cooling plate and the fins:
photo_2021-03-04_14-58-49.jpg

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The set you linked has a good price. Not sure how it is if you have to buy a XPX pro cooler separately. But for a professionell setup, i would not chooce clear tubes. Clear hoses contain plasticisers. The longer the system runs and the more waste heat has to be dissipated, the faster these plasticisers are flushed out. In the worst case, they can get stuck in the cooling fins and clog them. In normal use, this is relatively unimportant, but this sounds to me more like it is also about professional things. We only use TPV hoses in servers. They are generally more durable and better. But then you would have to put something together yourself.

Paul Oblomov

Wow. Didn't know that. Appreciated.

Would be great to have kind of a complete alphacool setup for TR then :) If you don't mind of course...

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
An example setup: https://www.alphacool.com/AtsdCartSave/load/key/ae5d2d75e96fd00d24d7b4b5ef2b6ace

I put two different CPU cooler in. The XPX Pro 1U is our enterprise cooler with connections on the side so it also fits in 1U serverracks. The XPX Pro Aurora Light has a somewhat lower cooling capacity (around 1-2°), but is cheaper and perhaps you would like to have aRGB lighting.

And you need some liquid. I would choose Tec Protect but it is not on stock right now. But any clear liquid is fine.