Dual-pump single loop

Ionut

Hello,

I've also posted this thread in "Builds & Mods" section, but I've received no answer so far.
I'm a proud owner of an AIO Eisbaer 360LT CPU cooler, and recently I've come out with the ideea of expanding it. I had already customize it by replacing the tubes (with clear ones), the radiator (with an 360mm x 45mm one) and also added a reservoir, but now I want to make my GPU also watercooled.
Current situation: I want my GPU to be cooled by a waterblock (not AIO) and a second 360mm radiator. In my opinion, the pump on the Eisbaer is not sufficient for that kind of load, so I've ordered the Eisstation DC-Ultra incl. Alphacool DC-LT 2600 Ultra (pump and reservoir). This is the same pump (or should be) as the Eisbaer's. I've done this so I can have two options:
a) make a single loop, with the pumps running in serial, something like this: Eisstation - GPU block - 1st radiator - Eisbaer - 2nd radiator - return to Eisstation, or maybe like this: Eisstation - GPU block - Eisbaer - 1st radiator - 2nd radiator - return to Eisstation;
b) make two independent loops, but in this situation the Eisstation is placed at the bottom and the radiator at the top of the case, so there's a aprox. 450 mm gap between them, a GPU block and about 4 or 5 fittings at 90 degrees (the pump has a pressure head of only 600mm H2O, so I'd be kind of stretching it).
Question: Is it possible to run the pumps in serial? If yes, I must connect them to the same power header? (it's OK, my motherboard have a 25W waterpump header, more than enough for two 6W pumps). I know that by runing two pumps in serial increase the head (pressure) of the cooling fluid, but will it be enough?

I would like to make a single loop, otherwise there will be a mess of tubing in my computer......

Thank you for your help!

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi there, i can try to help.

Is it possible to run the pumps in serial?
Yes you can run the pumps serial.

If yes, I must connect them to the same power header?
This is something that we do not advise. It is better if you use two power header to be on the safe side in case of any issue.

I know that by runing two pumps in serial increase the head (pressure) of the cooling fluid, but will it be enough?
As you have wrote two pumps serial and you get higher head pressure and if you run them parallel more flow rate. In both cases it is enough to run the system.

Ionut

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!
One question: if I run them in serial, shouldnt I try to make them run at the same speed (thus the ideea of a single power connector) ? If I run them on different headers, I probably shoud try to make identical settings for both of them, right?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
You are very welcome.

If I run them on different headers, I probably shoud try to make identical settings for both of them, right?
You can do that but in the end the flow will be at the speed of the fastest pump. The DC-LT has got approx. 200 to 300 RPM tolerance.

Ionut

Sorry to disturb you again....but I have this crazy ideea: buy the Eisdecke DC-LT dual Plexi top and a CPU block, dismantle the Eisstation and Eisbaer, mount their pumps on the plexi top and create a custom water loop: Dual plexi top - GPU - CPU - 1st radiator - 2nd radiator - reservoir - back to dual top. Would that be OK? Will 2 x DC-LT 2600 be enough for 2 blocks and 2 360mm radiators (and a bunch of 90 degree fittings) ? The dual pumps will be instaled at he bottom of the case, one radiator at the top and the second in front.
PS: must I buy anything else (accesories maybe?) with the Eisdecke DC-LT dual Plexi top?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
You are not disturbing everything is fine. Yes you can do that and the pumps should be enough to run the system. If you want just shoot an email to info@alphacool.com with your name and address. After that my coleagues can create you an offer and let you know with the needed parts.