Eisbaer 360 (2017) expansion of loop ?

sputnik77

Hi, I have Eisbaer 360 (2017) . Would it make sense to expand the system by adding additional radiator or reservoir to improve efficiency? Do not want to spend fortune thou. What is best way - for example to cool down better I9 13900k ( waiting for it to arrive soon) , or maybe start new custom loop system and setup new cooling system.
Any advice appreciated.

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @sputnik77

Newer processors are currently becoming more and more difficult to cool, even with a custom loop thanks to their chip design, headspreader or simply their power consumption in the boost.

When expanding with a radiator, you gain more surface area where the heat can be dissipated, but the heat must first be able to be absorbed by the cooler itself.
A 360 radiator can basically dissipate 300 watts of waste heat if the fans are set to silent operation. If the fans can rotate faster, it can also be 500 watts and accordingly more, but the heat must first be absorbed by the cooler itself.

With an expansion tank, you can make maintenance work easier, such as emptying, filling and bleeding. However, there is less of a direct advantage in terms of cooling performance.

A stronger pump would be the most efficient here, as this would increase the flow rate in the circuit. And there is nothing standing in the way of an extension with another radiator or expansion tank in the future.

It is best to test with the existing system first.
If the temperatures are not right even though the fans on the radiator are already running at full speed, then there is a reason somewhere.

Best Regards

sputnik77

Hi @sputnik77

Newer processors are currently becoming more and more difficult to cool, even with a custom loop thanks to their chip design, headspreader or simply their power consumption in the boost.

When expanding with a radiator, you gain more surface area where the heat can be dissipated, but the heat must first be able to be absorbed by the cooler itself.
A 360 radiator can basically dissipate 300 watts of waste heat if the fans are set to silent operation. If the fans can rotate faster, it can also be 500 watts and accordingly more, but the heat must first be absorbed by the cooler itself.

With an expansion tank, you can make maintenance work easier, such as emptying, filling and bleeding. However, there is less of a direct advantage in terms of cooling performance.

A stronger pump would be the most efficient here, as this would increase the flow rate in the circuit. And there is nothing standing in the way of an extension with another radiator or expansion tank in the future.

It is best to test with the existing system first.
If the temperatures are not right even though the fans on the radiator are already running at full speed, then there is a reason somewhere.

Best Regards
Thank you for the insight. I am rather new to custom cooling stuff,trying to get my head around this topic first. Have also ordered Corsair Icue 7000x case,to keep my expansion options open for nearest future, if 13900k OC'ed will become a problem with my current 360 rad.

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hey @sputnik77

That's no problem at all. And if you have any questions or suggestions, just let us know.

As written, first test the new hardware with the current/existing cooling solution.

If the temperatures are right, then you don't actually have to expand or convert anything.
If not, then you can check what helps you more.
But that's getting a little trickier with the newer processors or graphics cards.
Good examples, the new Ryzen processors have a thicker headspreader, which makes heat transfer more difficult, but the coolers are more compatible and you don't have to buy a new one straight away. As far as I know at the moment.
Intel is setting its power limits higher and higher so that they can reach and maintain the specified clock.

Best Regards

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi @sputnik77

for your information the 13900 can reach over 100°C with stock settings, even with an custom or AIO cooling.

An ST30 360mm Radiator would be enough for this CPU but the main Problem is the Heatspreader and the Heat transfer between DIE-Heatspreader-CPU cooler.

sputnik77

Hi @sputnik77

for your information the 13900 can reach over 100°C with stock settings, even with an custom or AIO cooling.

An ST30 360mm Radiator would be enough for this CPU but the main Problem is the Heatspreader and the Heat transfer between DIE-Heatspreader-CPU cooler.
In this case there is not much I can do. Hope that Eisbaer 360 will be enough

sputnik77

Hi! I have just put my new build together i9-13900k + Eisbaer360 +XPX backplate ,and I have big problem. Idle temps are mid 60s and spiking up randomly even when CPU usage at 0% ! Fans going crazy. Reseated pump twice changed paste from Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to Prolimatech PK3-merely helped ,but problem is alarming. Sth is definitely wrong. Never happened to me before. Any advice ? Have no idea what to do. Just to make sure -have connected radiator fans pin to -->CPU_FAN and pump pin to PUMP_FAN on mobo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-204410_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118-204410_Video Player.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 16.55.02.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 16.55.02.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 0

sputnik77

Hi! I have just put my new build together i9-13900k + Eisbaer360 +XPX backplate ,and I have big problem. Idle temps are mid 60s and spiking up randomly even when CPU usage at 0% ! Fans going crazy. Reseated pump twice changed paste from Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut to Prolimatech PK3-merely helped ,but problem is alarming. Sth is definitely wrong. Never happened to me before. Any advice ? Have no idea what to do. Just to make sure -have connected radiator fans pin to -->CPU_FAN and pump pin to PUMP_FAN on mobo.
After BIOS update to latest on MSI MAG Z790 EDGE DDR4 it came down by 10deg..I think? But still, idle temps may be too high by 10deg ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-222831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118-222831_Gallery.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

your temperature for the 13900k are looking fine. Even with an water cooler this CPU can reach 100°C under load.

sputnik77

Hi,

your temperature for the 13900k are looking fine. Even with an water cooler this CPU can reach 100°C under load.
I have already ordered https://www.alphacool.com/shop/aios-sets/cpu-aio/27127/alphacool-eisbaer-pro-aurora-420-cpu-aio .
Will see if this helps. I saw air bubbles in my current Eisbaer 360 and white flakes floating near pump, probably whole system needs to be drained/cleaned. But currently do not have time for that. Will use in another machine afterwards. I'm still learning how to handle that beast in BIOS settings..

Last edited:

sputnik77

Hands down !!! Eisbaer Pro Aurora 420 nailed it 😉. Had even used sample of Subzero paste which came with it. Probably even better than Prolimatech PK-3,which was my favourite. Overall, I'm very impressed. Although cpu is capped at 253W, but left MCE on. Performance loss is around 10% only. I can live with that. Idle temps 29-30. Under stress mid 60s . Like a walk in the park. Was trying to install radiator the other way round,but tubes too short (probably sth to improve). Now tubes little bent,but performance looks ok. There is little bubble floating at the top of pump,but was already there . No biggie.

Attachments

• 20221127_155046_resize.jpg
    20221127_155046_resize.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221127_163139_resize.jpg
    20221127_163139_resize.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221127_160435_resize.jpg
    20221127_160435_resize.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 2
  • vlcsnap-2022-11-27-20h47m08s034.jpg
    vlcsnap-2022-11-27-20h47m08s034.jpg