Eisbaer Extreme 280 - noise of running water, pump noise (SOLVED - not an Alphacool issue ;-) )

Tived

Hi Alphacool,

just managed to install my two Extreme 280s into my threadripper 3960x with an Optimus CPU block

i am new to this so please bare with me, I keep hear running water? is that normal (no leaks!)

also I seem to have air in the system, I can see it in the CPU block? how do I resolve this

i Think it is the pump, they seem very noisy - I tried to do a cpu stress test, running at 4ghz+ I was hitting 67c degrees for 10 min, fans at 100% only have the 4 fans on the two alphacool

thank you for your help and time

Henrik

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Well, if you changed the CPU cooler han you have to fill the Eisbaer Extreme again. If you have air inside, than you didn`t fill the loop. You have an fillport on the EIsbaer Extreme and if you put water inside, shake everything and let the pump running outside of your pc. Please dont fill it inside your pc.

Tived

Thanks Eddy, I feel like I keep filling it but it’s only about 600ml so far so I keep topping it up.
After I send this message I could fit another 150ml

still learning- thanks for your help

Tived

Ok, I am back to learn more

the water tickling noise is gone, filled the loop up with more liquid.

however the jet engine noise is still there, whining noise. Around 50-55db measured from arms length 65db up close to the case.

i pulled both Eisbaer apart adjusted the pump from 3 to 2 and back 3 but that did not produce any less noise.

it’s a new system, threadripper and I am yet to work out all the settings and controls on the motherboard TRX40 DESIGNARE, I have plugged all plugs in, into fan headers - so unless the 4 pin’s are running full speed now, I am yet to work out how to control them.

what am I doing wrong here?

thanks

henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Can you make a short video so we can hear the noise? Would help a lot.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We are in germany, so here it is 10am right now ;-) The noise is.... wow.... very noisy. I can`t hear the water flow, but that sound is mainly the pump? Really?

Tived

Hi Eddy,

I know you are in Germany ? but you must be starting work like the Spanish :LOL: lol

it is very loud, I suppose it is the pump, the water noise has gone. The air bubbles have gone. I will try tomorrow to pull it all apart again

if you have any suggestions please let me know
I appreciate your help all the way from Australia ?

danke

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Its really noisy if that is really the pump. Can you check it withou any fan is running? Maybe ask our support team if they have another idea: info@alphacool.com
Because i have no more ideas right now.

Like the spanish? Are they working in the middle of the night?

Australia... nice :)

Tived

Hi Eddy

thanks you for your support and help

I found the source of the noise, the GIGABYTE TRX40 DESIGNARE has a little fan hidden under the I/O panel.

luckily I found it before pulling everything apart ?

8A580796-F756-4F06-B9DA-B8D4E5403D0D.jpeg

just behind the ram under the blue LED “MOS-FAN” I also found it in the bios and when I turned it down the noise disappeared

I can’t see it documented in Gigabytes manual

speaking of manuals, you guys might want to update yours too

no proper description where to connect the cables to and what each of their function is

e.g. the two pin cable
481427F2-05B5-4149-953B-FE40E916DE47.jpeg
Your written manual is different to the PDF on Performance-Pc website for your product (it’s actually better)

anyway, your support forum makes up for it - thanks ?

looking forward to silent and cool computing ❤️
Henrik

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
:oops: ? I am happy that you found that fan. Because as i listen to the video i was not really sure if that could be the pump. It was a strange sound for the pump but you sounded so convinced that it had to be the pump that I just believed it.

We make sometimes updates of the manual, but to change some links is faster and easier than to change the printet manuals. Because we deliver our stuff to the reseller and if they are there, you cant tell them... open all boxes and change the manual. And that.... worldwide.... hm... not really possible. But nice to hear, that Performance-PC is using the correct link :)

The 4-Pin connector from the CPU-Cooler is only for the Alphacool logo LED. That 4-Pin connector wich cames from the Pump is for reading out the rpm and to controll the pump over PWM.
But yes.... the manual is not the best, thats true. We try to make things better and better but to be honest, the Eisbaer Extrem is an older product and since 2 years. And in the last 2 years we made a lot of changes with our workflow in the company.