Eisbaer Pro 240 high idle and load temperatures

kmcferrin

Hello, after being so happy with the GPU cooling performance of my Eiswolf 2 ROG Strix 360mm AIO I decided to add an Eisbaer Pro 240 for my Ryzen 7 5800x CPU, but I am getting what I would consider unusually high temperatures under idle and load. Using HWINFO64 I'm seeing "CPU(tctl/Tdie)" temperatures of around 45C at idle, up to 50C with just a few browser tabs open, and see it running up to 80C or more under load, accompanied by the fans sounding like a jet plane taking off. At the same time my GPU, which is always mining or playing games, stays around 40C GPU and around 76C for the memory junction temperatures. Since adding the Eisbaer to the loop my GPU temps have actually dropped by 1-2 degrees.

At first I thought that it might be mounting pressure, so I tested a bit with tightening or loosening the mounting screws 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn to see if I could see any significant change in temperatures, but all I managed was to see the temperatures increase as I loosened the screws. Since I was using the included thermal paste I decided to re-paste the CPU using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (which I have had good luck with in the past), and it lowered the temperatures by about 1-2C, but I am still well above what I would expect for this CPU and cooler. At idle I'm using around 40W total package power, and under full load I am using 125W.

I really was expecting better cooling from this solution given my experience with the Eiswolf 2. As a comparison I have another brand's AIO on one of my other PCs (yes, different system, CPU, etc so not apples to apples comparison,) and it's usually running around 37C idle and has never gone above 55C under full load. That's more in line with what I was expecting from the Eisbaer. Do you have any suggestions?