Eisbaer with AMD Ryzen 9 3950X temps 103+ when initiating Maya Arnold CPU IPR

ChaplainTIG

Workstation with AlphaCool Eisbaer AIO and AMD Ryzen 9 3950X hitting temps between 103-107 when initiating a CPU based Maya Arnold IPR. When I use GPU IPR, temps are fine.

I have a A/C unit that I blow into the case during long renders, with temp sensors for incoming air and outgoing from the loop radiator, and even pre-chilled with the incoming air at 12c and out at 23c, the CPU still immediately hits 100c+ and if I don't stop the IPR immediately, the PC shuts down (so I'm pretty sure it's not a sensor error).

Confirmed that the same is happening when I attempt a batch, with CPU as the render method.
Also load tested with Cinebench, and got into the 80s, but nowhere near the 100+ with Arnold. This workstation normally never gets above 80, so I’m concerned.

In an attempt to figure this out, I've re-applied thermal paste and ensured there are no air bubbles in the loop. I’ve made sure there aren’t any updated to the related programs, BIOS or firmware.

I’m posting this in forums for AMD, Maya, and Arnold.
Not sure what to do next and I’m looking for some external wisdom. :) Thanks in advance!

Details:
Maya 2024
MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION EATX AM4 Motherboard
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor 3.98 GHz
AlphaCool Eisbaer AIO
Installed RAM 128 GB
Windows 11 Enterprise
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1702
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22641.1000.0

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
hi,

how old is your EIsbaer? Did you update your GPu BIOS? If yes, did you check that the pump is always running with 12V? If the pump is running with 12V can you tell us the RPM from the pump?

ChaplainTIG

Thank you for your reply.
I installed it May 2020.

I didn't know I could update the GPu (I'm assuming that's the pump) BIOS, so no I haven't. Should I?

The pump was on a ramp from 1000rpm to 1500 and now I've changed it to full 12v constant.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

Thanks for the information. Sice the pump is running and the AIO is 3 years old, you have simply to maintanance your system, because the copper fins are clogged from Algae and Bacteria growth. This is completely normal after such a period and can be simply fixed. You have to remove the copper plate on the CPU cooler and clean it with destilled water and a soft tooth brush, Afterwards you have to flush the whole system with some distilled water and remount everything and refill the system.

ChaplainTIG

Thank you soooooo much @Vanzin! This is my first toe dipped into water cooling (even though it's an AIO) so I greatly appreciate your wisdom and support. I'll post the difference afterward.