Eisbear Aurora 280 Can't get proper mount with 13600k

ZeroKey

I recently upgraded from a 7700k to a 13600k and I can't get a proper mount with my CPU cooler/pump. The board is a Gigabyte Z790 UD and I'm using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal.
The 7700k was de-lidded and running at 5.4GHz (and significantly higher voltage, easily going above 130W TDP).
The 13600k is completely stock with all the stupid auto overclock and overvoltage in BIOS deactivated. It's really stock. Meaning it should reach its absolute peak at 180W. I'd assume that the cooler can handle 180W (I don't mean the rad, I mean the cooler itself). Still, running prime95 with small FFTs p-core 2,3,4 and 5 nearly instantly hit TjMax and thermal throttle. I assume because of a bad mount. I have re-mounted the cooler four times now and can't get a proper contact patch. Looking at the imprint on the cooler after de-mounting the contact patch doesn't look consistent, especially on the south side of the cooler I can see gaps. I tried hand tightening the screws and I tried tightening them with a screwdriver, neither produced a proper mount. I tried wiggling it a bit to see if maybe I can get it to sit properly, no luck.

Is it possible, that the 13600k has a different height or surface and a thin layer of liquid metal just isn't enough to get a proper mount? Has the cooler changed in design in the last two years and my older cooler isn't compatible with the 13600k but the new one is? Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS:
Pumping speed and cooling surface (i.e. rad surface) are not an issue. The cooler is part of a custom loop with another pump and another rad. Water temp when it reaches the CPU cooler is always <=38°C even under heavy load steady state.

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

what are your CPU temperatures? Please note that the 13xxx Series can reach up to 100°C under full load, even when water cooled.

Did you also check your BIOS, if the settings are as intended from Intel or if your motherboard has set the P/L to unlimited, as we had a few cases here in Forum. This is causing that the CPU can take unlimited wattage, which is causing that the CPU´s overheating and not running within the speccs from Intel.

ZeroKey

Okay, I fixed it by throwing money at the problem. Bought myself the Apex Backplate and a Thermalright contact frame. Now it tops out at 87°C. That proves to me that it was a mounting issue. You should've seen the imprint left behind when I removed the cooler. A wonder that it was running at all. I'd guess only 50% of the CPU was in contact with the cooler. If that comes down to the cooler, the backplate or Intel's mounting frame, I don't know.

I checked the BIOS settings and it had a power limit but, because Gigabyte in their infinite wisdom don't offer a "run with Intel spec" setting, it was running at 200W P/L instead of 180W. I then went and changed all settings by hand to the Intel spec and it was still hitting TjMax pretty much instantly. Well, before the backplate and contact frame that is.

David_ALC

Moderator / Trainee
Staff member
Hi,

we are glad to hear that the problem is now fixed. Perhaps the bad temperature was a result from all these factors.

If you have further questions feel free to contact us.