Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 4090 Master not covering memory chip fully

Shinigamius

Hi, I have recently installed Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 4090 Master (13476) on my Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC and noticed that one of the memory modules is not fully covered by the water block.

As you can see on the photo, the left side of the memory chip is not fully uncovered by the water block, while right side has some metal hanging over empty space. I'm worried that it can "unsolder" itself over time, causing issues. Should I send this block back via RMA?

Unfortunately, it took me far longer than 14 days to get all the parts required to fill up and test the system, so I'm long past 14 days return period.

Attachments

• 20230707_113627.jpg
    20230707_113627.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 8

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Hi,

Interesting, that's news to me. Personally, I would not worry about this. It's minimal and doesn't matter.
But I would be interested in the PCB number of the card. Gigabyte likes to change the PCB layout of a graphics card series without announcing or openly communicating it. A picture of the PCB would also be interesting to see.
In which country did you buy it?

Shinigamius

@Eddy thanks, hopefully it will work just fine. Gigabyte cooler design is pretty simple: it has a metal plate that covers the entire bottom area where the memory chip is. Basically, it doesn't matter if the chip moves left or right, as long as thermal pad is put on top of the chip, not on the cooler.

I'm attaching PCB image of the card. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the entire PCB, just the area that should be covered by the cooler. I'm also attaching a photo of PCI-E locking corner, which has a "V" and a number (I guess this could be PCB version?).

The number in the corner is V22028. Revision is 1.0 (it was on one of the stickers I've cut out).

Gigabyte cooler also covers some extra parts of the PCB with their cooler, I'll attach a picture of the cooler with thermal pads in place (I was super lucky - all of the thermal pads remained on the cooler). I'm also attaching a photo of the back of the PCB - just in case (stickers have been cut out).

Hope this helps!

PS: looking at the gigabyte cooler makes me wonder why my water block doesn't cover some areas that GB cooler does...

Attachments

• 4090 gaming oc pcb - compressed.jpg
    4090 gaming oc pcb - compressed.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4090 gaming oc pcb corner - compressed.jpg
    4090 gaming oc pcb corner - compressed.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4090 gaming oc back pcb - compressed.jpg
    4090 gaming oc back pcb - compressed.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 4090 gaming oc cooler with thermal pads - compressed.jpg
    4090 gaming oc cooler with thermal pads - compressed.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 7

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Most components on which the air cooler rests do not need to be cooled. The air coolers are heavy, so the weight is distributed over several components. Since there are tolerances in the overall heights, heat conduction pads are placed on top. This is not necessary with water coolers.
PCB Number looks like this for this GPU: GV-N4090AORUS M-24GD (Same on the Master, both have the same PCB). It is somethimes on the package.
Thansk for the pics. Seems like it is the normal PCB no new revision as i can see.

You don't have to worry about it. Everything will fit. I will check why the RAMs are not covered 100% perfectly. It may also be a compromise, as the cooler fits several cards. But they are covered more than enough according to your picture. The chip is in the middle and does not get to the edge. That's perfectly ok for cooling.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Thanks, that is the normal PCB number, so right now, no idea why we have developed this cooler like this.
I can only assume at the moment that another compatibility to another card was ensured and therefore a small compromise was made, which is not relevant for the customer or the cooling performance.