Eiswolf 2 EVGA 3080Ti FTW3

inzer890

Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO for EVGA 3080Ti FTW3.
Greetings, Alphacool. I got a question regarding the above mentioned AIO that I purchased recently. I would appreciate your comment if you’ve had similar experience in terms of the solution.
I’ve installed the waterblock 3 times this far, following the manual strictly. It’s 1mm thermal pads at the front side of the card I got issue with. I’m using Gelid Ultimate 1mm pads. And it’s only coils that obtain the block’s surface contact. The rest of the parts to be cooled - mosfets, video memory-they cannot achieve the contact. So I got memory temperature that’s higher than stock air cooler provides. The footprint that’s left at the pads-it’s only coils. And the waterblock as well as the backplate are tightened hard enough. I’ve tried to replace coils pads with thin layer of the thermal grease, but didn’t get any temperatures improvement. Memory temperature’s skyrocketed once it’s loaded with intense gaming workload.
What would you suggest? Trying thicker pads for video memory and mosfets? I didn’t expect that such a respectable watercooling parts manufacturer as Alphacool could create such a headache “out-of-the-box”

With respect,
Andrey.2661ED81-2900-4930-81EA-F3A78DC2F4BB.jpeg

Attachments

• FA7A796A-BAC9-4DE6-83E1-5B71C8018505.jpeg
    FA7A796A-BAC9-4DE6-83E1-5B71C8018505.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 1

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

it looks like your GPU is affected with the well known package problem from NVIDIA.

Please write us a mail to info@alphacool.com with the photos and a invoice copy and we will send you thicker thermal pads for free. Alternative you can also try by yourself soft 1,5mm pads.

inzer890

Please write us a mail to info@alphacool.com with the photos and a invoice copy and we will send you thicker thermal pads for free. Alternative you can also try by yourself soft 1,5mm pads.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Seems like thicker pads is the only solution to make this waterblock fit my graphics card. I'll email all the pic that I took, plus the invoice.

inzer890

After replacing 1mm thermal pads to 1.25mm thermals situation of VRM and video memory improved significantly. 10 degrees lower than it was with the stock air cooler. The drawback now - is GPU contact pressure reduced. The temp goes higher than air-cooled. And I might have found the reason why the waterblock couldn't be properly aligned out-of-the-box. Pls look at the picture. Is it normal that the acrylic plate leans at the fan connectors? Pls mind that it's taken with thicker pads on mosfets and memory.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_221737766-min.jpg
    PXL_20220723_221737766-min.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 8

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hey, can you shoot a photo from arround 45° angle where the connections are? We can´t see clearly really. Are the connections inside the chanell or are they sitting directly on the acrilic cover?

Last edited:

inzer890

Hey, can you shoot a photo from arround 45° angle where the connections are? We can´t see clearly really. Are the connections inside the chanell or are they sitting directly on the acrilic cover?
I removed these plastic clips and finally got a decent GPU/waterblock contact + 1.25mm thermal pads on video memory and mosfets + 1mm pads on coils.
Now there's another question. I'm totally disappointed with the Eiswolf 2 kit performance. Basically the only benefit that I achieved is minus 8 degrees on memory. Period. In terms of the GPU temp this AIO isn't capable out-of-the-box to deal with 400+ watts graphics card card. I could get equal temps with stock air cooler at my EVGA 3080Ti FTW. I tested the cooling efficiency with Metro: Exodeus enhanced edition, 4K, RTX, all max, no DLSS). 73 degrees GPU/ 83 degrees hot spot, 76 memory with 1700rpm fans. Can you imagine the level of acoustic discomfort sitting 1m from tripple 120mm stack of fans revving at 1700? When decides to spend (not waste) the money for liquid-cooling loop the word "silence" is one the priorities. That's awful. First of all I suspected stock fans. These 120mm fans perform so bad concerning static pressure that I can't feel the air flow with my hand at the opposite side of this thin radiator.
The temporary solution was to stack them with my Antec P82 flow case fans 3x140mm@1100rpm and invert the air from inside the case (all side and top case covers were removed).
PXL_20220725_150504846.NIGHT-min.jpg
Eventually I got the results that were slightly less disappointing (I'll attach the screenshot). 0.92v VGPU. 430watts max power draw, 68 degrees GPU/ 78 hot spot/ 78 memory.
Exodus enhanced 0.92v.jpg
Stock air cooler results to compare. 0.93v VGPU
Metro Exodus power consumption.jpg
I'm reminding: 3x120@1700+3x140@1100. The noise that the desktop produces now is even worse than with air-cooled 3080Ti FTW3. Performance wise - no improvement at all. Apparently I was a looser in terms of silicon lottery, but I expected the performance step-up after switching to water-cooled card. With temperatures like now it's hopeless.
Next step solution: 6x120mm Arctic P12 pressure optimized fans.
Another theory suggested at my domestic overclocking-related forum. Since stock pump is so performance-weak, the hoses with quick-release connectors suppress it's productivity significantly.
Step 3 solution: turning AIO into full-scaled water-loop. Replacing these ugly hoses, no quick-release connectors. Adding another 240mmx45mm thick rad at the top of the case (replacing CPU AIO and installing decent CPU waterblock. Adding DDC pump + reservoir top.
I don't know guys how you expected Eiswolf 2 AIO to perform well at such power-starving cards but in my particular case it's a sorta headache than performance step forward merged with noise reduction. It might provide an acceptable level of efficiency with stock 350W power limit of 3080/Ti cards, but it definitely can't deal with 450W card.
I'll update the thread after abovementioned upgrade to leave the feedback was it successful or not...

inzer890

Please do that. If it does not work we need to check out other possibilitys.

In the progress, waiting for the stuff to be delivered.
And got another question: if one decides to turn Eiswolf's 2 water block with integrated pump module into a regular full cover block. what type of the Eisblock terminal will be required? Will the one that linked below match?

I realize that any type of the warranty will be void. But I don't think that DC-LT will live long enough after being put into a loop that features 18 watt Laing DDC. It makes no sense to keep it. And yes, I know, I should have purchased the components separately, not AIO )) Too late unfortunately.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
If you install a DDC in the circuit, you can just run the DC-LT along with it. It does not matter. I would spare myself the conversion if you only care about the service life of the DC-LT. Many customers do it this way, we are not aware of any problems. You are worrying too much here.
But if you still want to convert, you can take the terminal.

inzer890

If you install a DDC in the circuit, you can just run the DC-LT along with it. It does not matter. I would spare myself the conversion if you only care about the service life of the DC-LT. Many customers do it this way, we are not aware of any problems. You are worrying too much here.
But if you still want to convert, you can take the terminal.
Thank you for the reply, Eddy. Will take a chance ))
One more vital question: what's the size of a wrench to unscrew 90 degree fittings from the case of the pump module? Will swap them to compression fittings for 19/13mm tubing