Eiswolf 240 GPX pro for 5700XT M01 + NZXT H510 case = High Temps?!?!?!

DGinUK

hi

hoping someone can help, I upgraded the 5700XT Anniversary edition blower (noisy and didn't cool at all) to an Artic Accelero Xtream IV. This was better as I could run fans at 100% and the card didn't crash. I was getting 71c GPU and 96c junction temp at 100% load. I was getting glitches on screen which was annoying.

I opted for the Eiswolf 240 GPX pro for 5700XT M01 as I wanted core and junction to be lower.....
I fit its yesterday and I get 61c GPU and 106c junction temp at 100% load

surely this is not good? I've moved case around and there is no bubble sound.

current set up is :-

NZXT H510 case
NZXT CAM (fan controller)
msi x470 gaming plus System Board
AMD Ryzen 2600
5700XT Anniversary edition
Eiswolf 240 GPX pro for 5700XT M01

the pump is fitted to the Pump fan header on system board (set to 100% and showing 2300RPM in bios) and the fans are 1400RPM on the radiator when at 100% GPU load, using the NXZT CAM controller. the fans can go 25% more but with little effect on the temps.

I've tried auto under volt in AMD software, I've tried reducing max GPU MHz by 10% and temps are same.

Rad fans are sucking air from front and the two case fans are sucking air out case. PSU is in bottom of case and sucks air in bottom and blows out the back.

cooler.jpg

any help would be most welcome :(

Attachments

• coolerLOAD.jpg
    coolerLOAD.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 3
  • coolerIdle.jpg
    coolerIdle.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 3

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, i know it is a stupid question but have you checked the print of the thermal pads and paste on the block and the GPU? Can you shoot some photos of that prints and upload it here please?

DGinUK

hi

is this what your looking for?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_144823.jpg
    IMG_20200909_144823.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200909_145643.jpg
    IMG_20200909_145643.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200909_151938.jpg
    IMG_20200909_151938.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 18

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Not really,. you need to put the thermal paste to the GPU first and place the block after take it away and than shoot a photo of the block and the GPU to see the print of it.

DGinUK

so you saying I need to open the block and look at the past on the GPU block ? ok.....i'll do that in a minute

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
You need to remove from the block from your grahics card and check out the print. And please do not forget the photos.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Yes exactly thank you for the pictures. The prints are fine so the block fits the card as it has to. And the pump is running right? You do have flow in the system?

Last edited:

DGinUK

yes, in the bios I can see the fan pump showing 2300 RPMs. i can also hear the bubbles getting move when move PC side to side

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
61c GPU and 106c junction temp at 100% load
Well the 61° on the GPU is good and the junction temp (according AMD) can hit 110° under full stress :unsure: I have found a video from Gamers Nexus which you should watch:

It looks like you can lower the temperature and i am more confused now :unsure: Does anyone has an idea here? Or the same issue?

DGinUK

hmmmm.......

that whole video is about how "110 is expected" is misleading, the chap in the video even says himself.....110c is working tolerance, you dont want it that high.....in fact that video is the reason i decided to get the water cooler....

DGinUK

so one thing i noticed is the thermal pads for the RAM has a faint transfer pater (i.e they were touching) but for the ones in the channels (presuming voltage and stuff) on the backing plate there was no transfer pattern, so i swapped them for some thicker thermal pads.......

temp at 100% load
GPU 58c
Junction 98CIMG_20200910_111955.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_110045.jpg
    IMG_20200910_110045.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
This results are by far better but i would really love to if someone shares his temps from the same block. Just curiosity.

DGinUK

sure, me too......how hot should the radiator get? as the video card block is warm to the touch but the Radiator isnt as warm

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
The radiator does not get as hot as the blocks (so far everything works as it should). You can touch it with bare hands.

DGinUK

so looking at some youtube videos (
), it would appears that using watercoolers they are getting 41c GPU and Junction 62 to 69c during stress test. so my temps are still a little high but im going to get the software they used to stress test mine :(

J Callaway

From you top pic there are a couple things that I could suggest that may help.
1. This may be a pain since you have a small form factor, but if you could mount your radiator so the hoses are at the bottom it may help. For a deeper dive into that whole subject, see gamers nexus video;

2. I think you may be lacking a little on your airflow across your card. Since your water-block just cools the die area, the VRM, memory, etc are all cooled using the heat sink fins, so you need to have good airflow (preferably along the fins) to carry off the heat. From the picture above it looks like only one fan is pointed at the GPU and it is blowing air that is warmed and restricted by the radiator. You could test if this is the problem by placing a spare case fan in the bottom pointed directly at the card, or pointing a room fan into the case with the side panel off if you don't have a spare. If this fixes the issue, just mount the fan to the bottom blowing into the case which will also give your case a slight positive pressure which is good for keeping the inside cleaner (providing you aren't setting this on carpet...lol)

3. To help troubleshoot the problem area, if you can pinch your cooler while running your stress tests, you may be able to tell if poor contact, thermal pads, etc are the case, and where the poor contact/thermal transfer exists.

Hope this helps!

DGinUK

From you top pic there are a couple things that I could suggest that may help.
1. This may be a pain since you have a small form factor, but if you could mount your radiator so the hoses are at the bottom it may help. For a deeper dive into that whole subject, see gamers nexus video;

2. I think you may be lacking a little on your airflow across your card. Since your water-block just cools the die area, the VRM, memory, etc are all cooled using the heat sink fins, so you need to have good airflow (preferably along the fins) to carry off the heat. From the picture above it looks like only one fan is pointed at the GPU and it is blowing air that is warmed and restricted by the radiator. You could test if this is the problem by placing a spare case fan in the bottom pointed directly at the card, or pointing a room fan into the case with the side panel off if you don't have a spare. If this fixes the issue, just mount the fan to the bottom blowing into the case which will also give your case a slight positive pressure which is good for keeping the inside cleaner (providing you aren't setting this on carpet...lol)

3. To help troubleshoot the problem area, if you can pinch your cooler while running your stress tests, you may be able to tell if poor contact, thermal pads, etc are the case, and where the poor contact/thermal transfer exists.

Hope this helps!
Hi J Callaway

Cannot believe i haven't see the video before.... Appreciate the advice and will have a go a fliping the rad tonight.... The case does have really bad air flow and before the water cooler was fitted I did run a case fan on the memory etc part of the card.... Ill give that a go....

I did try and pinch the card when running stress test but it didn't make any difference.

I'll post my findings asap

Many thanks

David

Last edited: