Eiswolf GPU AIO, fan control

ultim802

Quick question: I was hoping to plug the radiator fans into the GPU fan header, but with the waterblock installed there appears to not be enough room to plug the fans in (see attached image). I assume then the fans must be plugged into a fan header on the motherboard. But then what do I do to control the fans? I believe the motherboards fan controller is all based on CPU temp, not GPU temp. Or do I simply have the fans run at a static RPM all the time?

Thoughts?

fan_header.jpg

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
You can connect the fans to the MB & control them e.g. via PVM. I would run the fans at constant speeds. It's best to try them out until the temperatures meet your expectations.

ultim802

Do you mean PWM? I would prefer not to run the fans at constant speed. If GPU isn't under a load its not worth having the fans running.

I just ordered the Alphacool Eiszapfen temperature sensor. So with any luck I'll be able to connect that to the motherboards T_SENSOR and control the fans based on that value.

pdifolco

It depends ... Use of PWM can be useful as in my case where I had to put the GPU rad front and fans on intake, so want to have them run faster when the CPU runs faster to have more airflow in, with no real problem on GPU temp that don't go past 55C
It's not possible with BIOS or most software, but I got one that does it very neatly, a freeware called FanControl