First build - questions - alphacool quality?

linwoodfoster

Hello all,
Ive decided to build my first custom loop with hard tubing in a H500i NZXT case. Its going to be tight and hard but Ive wanted to do this for years but always chicken out.

Ive done basic planning, made a list with what I -think- I need but when I do last research I face some problems. I will need to use thin tubing and ordering thru Aquatuning the only hard line available are 13/10 and Alphacool fittings to match.

Alphacool quality? Not alot of threads to view but the ones I find it says they are not good nor bad

EK fittings/blocks much better? Seems to be very popular but also find threads saying its rebranded cheap chinese garbage

Would the 12/10 be much harder to work with or should I settle for 14/11 if Alphacool is crap stuff?

Can I use a multiport cylinder reservoir upside down and use the top center hole as outlet feeding the pump? Space is a luxury and it would help out alot if I could have easy access to ports on top from the radiator and also I have like 2-3cm wiggleroom to work with so a center hole to the pump would also help.

Do you usually order alot of extra parts? As Ive havent done any build before and its a small space Im kinda counting on its going to be a problem lining everything up. Better to have more than having to order again, I guess.

Its going to be 240 in front, 120 in the back. 8700k and 2070S both cooled.

Last edited:
Some turnable alphacool 45° 13/10 fittings drip upon stress on it. All turnable parts are easy to turn, but the pipe mounting requires many spare o rings. It works just fine, when done, but pipe connections should be done outside the case to achieve enough force and not slip the hand against something. So turnable parts are helpful to install the fitted pipes.

Krasseknar

Looks like you made the choice to go for hard tubing (y). Possibilities are almost endless, and the choice of the diameter of your tubing with the hardware specs presented is not so important. Just make sure the fittings and hard-tubing diameters are corresponding.
A rule of tumb: do not mix metals in a loop, keep that in mind with selecting (wetted) components.

So it is a matter of preference, mainly of the aestetics and how much you want tot spend. I personally consider Alphacool an A-brand with corresponding quality.
Customer support can also be added value if you think you'll need that. It's not the same with every brand.

Despite what other peeps say from their perspective, I used cheaper (Bykski anti-off) fittings on my build and noticed they do just fine. It mostly comes down on the precision of mounting them to prevent of leakages , just use common sense. This will be a fact for every brand/type of fitting you choose, most complaints about defective or malfunctioning parts are sadly due to user faults . They are just connectors to make a watertight connections between components within given specs, no rocket science.

If you want to make it easier on yourself for the first build, you can als go for soft tubing, but believe me your first hard tubing build can be very satisfying and get you addictied to the fun of building 😉.
Just do enough research and watch plenty of YT tutorials to get some insight on the techniques.
Your imagination is the limiting factor.