Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme (11GB) - No signal after installing water cooling

driftar

Hello,

Recently, I've ordered some stuff here from Alphacool. First of all, I'm absolutely happy about the quick delivery and the quality of their products. Thank you, guys!

But there's an issue with my graphics card. The card doesn't show any signal on the screen, and it is not recognized by the computer. At least I think it's not recognized when I use the onboard graphics.

My current system (hardware):
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Rev 1.0 (LGA 1151, Intel Z370, ATX) Mainboard
    • Just updated to the most recent BIOS F15a
  • Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme (11GB)
  • Intel i7-8700k CPU @3.70GHz
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V (4x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280) as OS disk
Cooling:
  • Alphacool Eiswolf 240 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080/2080Ti Aorus Xtreme M11 - Black
  • Alphacool Eisbaer 120 CPU - Black
  • Alphacool Eisfrost Xtreme liquid metal paste 1g
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
There is no overclocking applied to that system.

I'm pretty sure that I installed the GPU cooling solution correctly. It took me about two hours to read the manual, cut the pads and to install everything. Both the pumps of CPU and GPU cooler are working, and so do the fans. There is no weird noise or something. There's just no signal.

I also applied only a little bit of the Xtreme liquid metal paste, just enough to cover the whole GPU die and make sure that there are no droplets. Maybe this cooling paste isn't good for GPU's?

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC to check the graphics card if it's working there or not. What I can say is, that the PC itself is running (this post has been written on that computer with onboard graphics) and that the graphics card worked before installing the new cooler.

*** Edit ***
When the graphics card is installed, and everything is connected, I recognize that my computer is starting up just normal. I've got a Logitech webcam with Windows Helo, and it recognizes me sitting in front of the screen.

I'm thankful for every hint!

Thank you!

Cheers,
Karl

Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi There, strange things are happening this days ^^ have you tried to run the card with the original air cooling? How are the prints of the thermal pads and paste? May i ask where you are from?

driftar

Hi there!

Well, the card was operating the whole time until I shut down the computer to start replacing the cooler. At least until that point in time all was good.

I will try to run the card again with the original air cooler, maybe I got time this weekend.

What do you mean with "how are the prints of the thermal pads and paste"? I put them there where I had to, according to the guide / manual.

I'm from Switzerland.

Cheers,
Karl

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi Karl, if you dismount the block this weekend can you please shoot some photos of the print from the paste and pads? We need to see how the contact from the block to the card is. How long you had the block on the card running?

driftar

Hi there,

Sure I can take some pictures of it.

The card with the block wasn't running for long, maybe one or two hours, until I realized that there's nothing to do to solve the issue quickly. It didn't generate any heat because the card was not really running as it wasn't recognized by the mainboard. The block stayed cool during the whole time.

In regards to the manual/guide, I didn't put the pads on the cooler/block, but I did put it directly onto the graphics card. That was easier because you can see the resistors and chips and align the pads correctly. I was afraid that some components won't have contact with a pad when I put them on the block.

How can I order replacement pads, if needed? And what do you think about the liquid metal paste? Is this fine for GPUs or should I go with the regular paste which was shipped with the cooler?

Cheers,
Karl

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
We can send you the pads and paste no problems more important is the reason why it comes to this malfunction. That is why we need to see the photos first. I am generally not a friend of liquid metal and would not advise to use it. Perhaps some have different opinions. My advise is to go with the regular paste.

driftar

So than let's see if I can disassemble the card today evening, to keep the ball of troubleshooting rolling.

driftar

Hi there,

Please see the attached pictures. I disassembled and cleaned everything. I couldn't see anything obviously damaged, no black burning marks or broken things or so.

I also assembled everything back together, applied the regular thermal paste and also realigned the thermal pads exactly as in the guide, just to give it another try (hope dies last...). But, unfortunately, it didn't work. The card isn't working anymore, and I bet, it also doesn't with the standard air cooler.

20200220_182830.jpg 20200220_182836.jpg 20200220_182853.jpg 20200220_182856.jpg 20200220_182900.jpg
20200220_183150.jpg 20200220_183153.jpg 20200220_183203.jpg 20200220_183206.jpg 20200220_183209.jpg

Cheers,
Karl

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Volcan 1.jpgVolcan 2.jpgVolcan 3.jpgVolcan 4.jpg

The inital pad placement is wrong. Please see the pictures for explanations. The problem might be because of that. Please remove the pads that are on kondensators and caps. Just leave the pads on voltage converters and rams. Then try to clean the contact surface of gpu dye area as clean as possible. Be aware that the metallic thermal paste wont be cleaned perfect. Then use just normal thermal paste and run the card again. We might solve the problem like that.

driftar

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for your feedback!

I corrected the pads and used also the regular thermal paste which was shipped with the cooler. It took me about an hour to clean everything and align the pads with the tweezers and also apply the thermal paste, according to the guide (2080Ti).

When you look at the image in the guide, the pads 4-3-3 on the left are fine. So are the pads on the right, 5-3-5. All these pads are aligned according to the guide and have to be placed in that cutout.

Just to verify what you said:
I should remove the pads (according to the numbers in the guide) as followed:
  • left side, pads 4-3-3 (in the cutout)
  • right side, pads 8-6-6-7 and 5-3-5 (both in the cutout left and right of the elevation at the screws)
That means that actually only the following pads will stay on the card:
  • Memory chips (around the GPU)
  • Left side (2-1-1)
  • Right side, on the elevation between the cutouts (2-1-1-1)
Cheers,
Karl

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Have you installed the block as my colleague has described you above? Please do follow the steps and let us know if it worked out or not.

driftar

Hi there,

I first wanted to have it confirmed, if I have to remove some of the thermal pads as mentioned by your colleague.

At the moment, the cooler block is installed exactly as instructed in the guide, with all the pads and thermal paste. But your colleague said that I have to remove some pads, where the guide shows that pads should be placed there. You just have to compare the edited pictures with the guide. That's what confuses me.

Cheers,
Karl

djvj*

Staff member
Yes hi there again. we are trying to pinpoint the problem. because the inital pads placement were wrong we thought maybe due to that it might be some disalignment in somewhere. that is why the first thing came to mind that if we leave least important areas cooling behind and cool what is important than run the card. if it works then you can put the remaining pads as how they are in the manual back again. if the card wont work there is the problem. that is the idea behind it.

driftar

Ok, so I'm going to remove the pads as requested to see if the card works then. That means that there will be less thermal pads applied then shown in the guide. If the card doesn't work, then it's a case for my insurance, thankfully, I've got one.

driftar

Hello there,

I removed the pads as instructed. But unfortunately, still no signal on the screen. It definitely seems that the card is broken.

driftar

Hello there,

I just installed my old GeForce GTX 980 and I can confirm that it is NOT the mainboard. It's definitely the card. That means that my RTX 2080 is something to talk with my insurance about.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hey Karl, i am sorry to hear that really. Gigabyte is very accommodating regarding changing the stock cooler with another one. Just contact them and try to get another card before taking action with your insurance. In case of any problems please let us know how we can support/help you. Do you want to send the block back for a refund?

driftar

Hi there,

Thank you very much! I will try to contact Gigabyte to see what they think about it and let you know. I'll contact you if I'll send the block back for refund, thank you!