GPU only loop parts / advice

zyarra

Hello.
I would like to create a loop for my GPU only(for now, expand later).
I was thinking about the following components:

Questions:
1) Are these ALL the parts I need or something is missing?

2) Are these the RIGHT parts?

3) I'm not sure between the difference of pump+res and
https://shop.alphacool.com/shop/aus...-core-flat-reservoir-360-rechts-mit-vpp-pumpe
would the another add any real benefit or its mostly for visual?

4) I dont care about visual but I do care about performance, are these the right components for best performance/price ratio?

5) Does this make sense or should I rather go with an Eiswolf 2 for the moment and expand that? I'm also not sure when I would add the CPU so this might be a GPU only solution for the following few years...

Thanks in advance!

Zyarra

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

you are missing liquid to fill the system. I can recommend following for it.

Regarding a reservoir. There are mostly optical difference and different pump tops. If you want expand your system later, you should go with a reservoir for a VPP/D5 pump, to have enough power to expand the system later. You will always have better temperature with a custom loop, like you have chosen, than with a AIO.

zyarra

Hi,

you are missing liquid to fill the system. I can recommend following for it.

Regarding a reservoir. There are mostly optical difference and different pump tops. If you want expand your system later, you should go with a reservoir for a VPP/D5 pump, to have enough power to expand the system later. You will always have better temperature with a custom loop, like you have chosen, than with a AIO.
Hey!

Thanks for the quick response.
So the pumpreservoir i have chosen is just as good as the more expensive ones, thats good news!

And the set includes everything(except thermal paste+liquid) and I would need absolutely nothing else?
I am trying to calculate with all costs as for me this is rather expensive and I'm trying to avoid 'hidden costs' and buy everything at once :)

Two last things:
I seen that there are 2 versions of the gpu block, core and aurora, and the only difference should be visual+the terminal is acryl vs copper.. And I read that acryl can break when overtightening...is breaking really a thing or its just an urban rumor?

Are the sizes of the tube/fittings match? I'm a bit confused with that because on the tube description it shows mm and on others it shows G1/4"... :/

Thanks again!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
And the set includes everything(except thermal paste+liquid) and I would need absolutely nothing else?
Everything is included, also paste and thermal pads, yes. Liquid not ;-)
...is breaking really a thing or its just an urban rumor?
The acrylic terminal is already very stable, but there are always customers who overtighten their fittings, which can lead to cracks over time. In the worst case, cracks can also occur if, for example, the hose is tightened too tightly, causing a transverse load on the fitting and thus on the thread of the fitting in the acrylic. However, I would not overestimate this. It doesn't happen that often. But yes, there is definitely a reason why we now use brass threads for all our products. Whether for CPU coolers, distro plates or other products. Better safe than sorry.
Are the sizes of the tube/fittings match? I'm a bit confused with that because on the tube description it shows mm and on others it shows G1/4"... :/
G1/4 is the thread which is screwed. This is a standard thread for water cooling. You have already selected the right fittings for the hose. That fits.

zyarra

Everything is included, also paste and thermal pads, yes. Liquid not ;-)

The acrylic terminal is already very stable, but there are always customers who overtighten their fittings, which can lead to cracks over time. In the worst case, cracks can also occur if, for example, the hose is tightened too tightly, causing a transverse load on the fitting and thus on the thread of the fitting in the acrylic. However, I would not overestimate this. It doesn't happen that often. But yes, there is definitely a reason why we now use brass threads for all our products. Whether for CPU coolers, distro plates or other products. Better safe than sorry.

G1/4 is the thread which is screwed. This is a standard thread for water cooling. You have already selected the right fittings for the hose. That fits.
Sounds great!
Last questions, very last, I promise! :D
From a performance point of view, which is better radiator:
PUSH+PULL: 30mm+18fpi vs 60mm+10fpi vs 45mm+16fpi
vs
PUSH OR PULL 85mmx10FPI with the below fans?
2.5 mmh2o+80cfm OR ~2.8mmh2o+100cfm - prefer to use the first as its MUCH quieter.
or the differences are neligible ?

Im also slightly confused by pumps... d5 vs apex? Tests seem to show apex is superior... ? is that correct?

Thank you!

Last edited:

zyarra

I actually already made my purchase just now, gone with metal screw-ons instead of plastic, metal headers on the gpu block, nexxos ut60 rad, and core 200 aurora
but im still curious about your asnwers :)
Thanks!

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

the bigger the radiator, the more heat can be dissipated. BUt you have to configure from the XT45 onwards in push & Pull ( both sides with fans) to have more cooling capacity. THe VPP Apex is our Version of a D5 pump, which is, from my side out, mor esilent as a LAing D5 and is also stronger.

zyarra

Thank you, i will do that.(pushpull)
Question, do I need to "pre-flush" the radiator to remove production residues?
If I have to - can i use tapwater to flush it?

Also, how much liquid is needed to fill up the system?

Thanks

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

we always recommend to flush the radiators before the first usage with distilled water. Regarding liquid, I would go with 2 bottles of liqiud.