Gpu temp issue with 4080S Core block.. Inlet mistake ?

alchemino

Good morning,

I am just following up with you about the issue with your block 4080 Core reference design which appeared not to be compatible with my PNY 4080 Super Verto. As a reminder, I've passed weeks trying to get a good contact with the gpu, and after days of talking alone with the support and the forum, "Vanzin" finally answered that the block was "never listed" as compatible on your website. It was a complete lie since it can be seen on Waybackmachine that it was listed on 6 Feb 2024, and another of your members then confirmed the lie. (https://forum.alphacool.com/threads/gpu-temp-issue-with-4080s-core-block-inlet-mistake.5148/)

I am thus asking for additional compensation to the reimbursement of the block. Indeed, not to mention the monstrous amount of time spent trying to figure out the mistake I could have made while having no support, I was also forced to add a number of additional costs to my project due to Alphacool’s error/negligence :
- Resale at loss of the graphics card: I have committed 1200euros in my loop and if I do not want to cancel the whole project I am forced to resell this card to buy another one, because there is no other compatible block. Knowing that the card has been deshrouded, it is way more difficult to re-sell it so we can count at least -30% of the new price that amounts to the loss of 330euros.
- Purchase of 2 Quick-Release Koolance QD3 by fatigue after several loop drains: 80e + 20e postage.
- Purchase of 2L of Aquacomputer DP Ultra liquid: 20e + 20e of postage.

"Sath0Rn" (who seems to be a member of the Alphacool team) replied on your forum that you were ready to make a "commercial gesture" by accompanying your "DocMicro partner", so that this story "remains behind us".
For this story to actually remain behind us, it seems reasonable to me to ask for a compensation that covers at least to the extent of the losses related to the resale of the graphics card, 330euros. A card that I would not have bought if it had not been listed as compatible on your site.
I have already contacted DocMicro which can only refund the block, and that is already sufficient for them who made no mistake except copying your given compatibility list. Only you are responsible and therefore should be accounting for that "commercial gesture".

The compatibility list should be taken more seriously regarding how much money (and time!!) your clients are spending on their project. Moreover, a change on the compatibility list should have been clearly stated everywhere, highlighting that the pny 4080S is NOT compatible anymore, despite it previously was mentionned as, and despite that it is a reference card PCB.
As of today, the PNY 4080 Super Verto is still mentionned on the compatibily list on many resellers' websites, such as modsmymods for instance (https://modmymods.com/alphacool-core-geforce-rtx-4080-reference-design-with-backplate-13439.html) .

Sincerely.

Adrien Akar

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Good morning,

I am sorry that my colleague “Vanzin” made a somewhat premature statement. However, the compatibility of your graphics card was removed very quickly, so the colleague probably didn't even realize at the time that the cooler was on the compatibility list.

Basically, compatibilities are checked in two ways. A visual check and a physical check. As it is impossible to physically check every card, especially when new models come onto the market, a misjudgement can certainly occur. This visual check is a common procedure and is carried out by all companies.

However, even physically inspected coolers may suddenly no longer fit, as graphics card manufacturers sometimes use different components in a batch or change the layout without communicating this. This is very annoying for us and, of course, for the customer.

We are also not responsible for which compatibilities stores show on their website. We have a configurator and a PDF that are always updated: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://download.alphacool.com/homepage/compatibility_list_Nvidia.pdf
There is also a PDF for AMD cards. Dealers can then update their websites if they wish.
The fact that a cooler unexpectedly does not fit is very annoying, but it can always happen. After feedback and analysis with a customer, we immediately removed the compatibility from the list. The cooler can be sent back if it is incompatible.

But in relation to the graphics card, we will of course not compensate for any loss in value. The card works in its original condition with the original cooler. The card has therefore not been damaged by the cooler, nor has the function of the card been impaired.

alchemino

Good morning,

I am sorry that my colleague “Vanzin” made a somewhat premature statement. However, the compatibility of your graphics card was removed very quickly, so the colleague probably didn't even realize at the time that the cooler was on the compatibility list.
I am also sorry, that is totally unprofessional.
Basically, compatibilities are checked in two ways. A visual check and a physical check. As it is impossible to physically check every card, especially when new models come onto the market, a misjudgement can certainly occur. This visual check is a common procedure and is carried out by all companies.
Yes that's it, your company jumped on gaining new clients by adding that new card on the compatibility list without further investigation. And sorry, but Alphacool is the one and only that have done that with that particular card.

We are also not responsible for which compatibilities stores show on their website. We have a configurator and a PDF that are always updated: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://download.alphacool.com/homepage/compatibility_list_Nvidia.pdf
There is also a PDF for AMD cards. Dealers can then update their websites if they wish.
The fact that a cooler unexpectedly does not fit is very annoying, but it can always happen. After feedback and analysis with a customer, we immediately removed the compatibility from the list. The cooler can be sent back if it is incompatible.
Ho yes that's a good one, why would you keep up to date resellers (thus clients) of your random compatibility list changes across clients bêta-testing ? I am sure you can get it !
Maybe try to add a disclaimer on your website if you care about customers, at least ...

But in relation to the graphics card, we will of course not compensate for any loss in value. The card works in its original condition with the original cooler. The card has therefore not been damaged by the cooler, nor has the function of the card been impaired.
Yes again, why would you make any commercial gesture for a client who lost both tons of money and 1 month of its free time because of both your negligence and then your lack of customer services ? I mean, of course, how dare I.
Fortunately I have not tried to overscrew the coldplate to the pcb during the weeks I passed troubleshooting alone before your colleague suddendly remembered that the card was "never listed". But as I said, it lost its warranty so way less value and I have now to sell that card because I made the crucial mistake of trusting your list.
But anyway I got it, and I actually care less about few euros that you should about your company reputation so let's ending that mess like that, no problem for me.