GPX-N RTX 3080 Founders Edition Backplate too thick for X570

devaraja

Hi, i got an issue with the new backplate of the Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3080 Founders Edition and my Gigabyte AMD Ryzen X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI.

For what i can see the black plate is too thick and chipset cooler does not allow it to fit. this looks like an issue with alot of x570 mobos. Anyone have any ideas ?
2020-12-13 at 8.25.44 PM.jpeg

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The backplate takes up exactly the space specified in the ATX specification. This is usually not the case with Mini-ITX boards. Manufacturers like to play around with this because there is simply too little space. However, the backplate has no relevant function and can also be omitted. It really only serves to look good or stabilise the PCB a little. But you will need 6x M2x5 spring screws. You could at most write to our support if they could send you some spare screws. These are mounted in the place where the backplate is normally mounted. Otherwise you will have a somewhat uneven contact pressure on the voltage transformers.

devaraja

The backplate takes up exactly the space specified in the ATX specification. This is usually not the case with Mini-ITX boards. Manufacturers like to play around with this because there is simply too little space. However, the backplate has no relevant function and can also be omitted. It really only serves to look good or stabilise the PCB a little. But you will need 6x M2x5 spring screws. You could at most write to our support if they could send you some spare screws. These are mounted in the place where the backplate is normally mounted. Otherwise you will have a somewhat uneven contact pressure on the voltage transformers.

Hi Eddy, thx for your reply. I dont fully agree with your reply, if the blackplate was just for show, why are thermal pads included to be used with it? the backplate does help to disipate heat from the back of the card, maybe not nearly as much as the block itself but it does help.

Could you please give me the adress to contact the support team.

Thank you for your help.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The heat conduction pads only serve to stabilise the backplate. Of course, this also absorbs some temperature, but it is basically not necessary and only brings about 1°C in practice. Therefore, the backplate is not decisive. Most people only want them because of their appearance or because they "believe" that the backplate contributes a lot to the cooling performance. But that is simply wrong.

Mail: info@alphacool.com

Please put a link in to this thread so the support team knows what we have talked here.

Last edited by a moderator: