GPX Pro - A Radeon Vii M01

radeondutch

Hi Team,

Question regarding the thermal pads, do you have to remove the original thermal pads on the PCB?
I'm not talking about the strip of Hitachi TC-HM03 on the GPU/HBM2 but about the pads on the VRM MOSFETs.

Do I have to remove the original VRM MOSFETs thermal pads? because I could put original and new alphacool pads together for extra thickness and pressure.

kr,
Boy

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, i see that you dont have any expirience with water cooling right?

because I could put original and new alphacool pads together for extra thickness and pressure.
Dont do this you will probably damage or break the card while tightening the screws.

Do I have to remove the original VRM MOSFETs thermal pads?
You can remove or leave them it is up to you or replace it with the new ones.

But in any case i strongly recommend you to read some FAQ,s about water cooling really.

radeondutch

Hi, i see that you dont have any expirience with water cooling right?

I've experience with your GPX pro product.

Dont do this you will probably damage or break the card while tightening the screws.

First time, many months ago, when I assembled my gfx card with the GPX pro watercooling AIO I by accident left the original thermal pads that came with the Radeon VII on there.
My temps were amazing, 75 degrees Celsius with auto overclock in AMD Wattman.
Now with the refurbished/fixed/modified GPX pro I received applying just the included thermal pads around the GPU and below the back-plate like described in the manual I'm hitting 106-108 degrees Celsius under load. All temps mentioned are junction temperature.
Pretty sick and disappointing result to be honest.

The radiator gets hot, pump is working.
I've applied a good amount of thermal paste, nice and thick like Gamer Nexus advised in one of his video's about the Radeon VII.
I've tighten the screws every time a bit tighter but this doesn't seem to help.
I got 9 fans in my case. 3 on the radiator. 1 doing push (AlphaCool fan) and 2 pull. Setting them 100% speed doesn't lower the temperature.

But in any case i strongly recommend you to read some FAQ,s about water cooling really.

I don't really understand why you are saying this?

Anyway, what would you suggest for me to get my 75 degrees Celsius back? as currently the product is hardly better than the stock cooler, it only doesn't make the fan noise of the stock cooler does.

If you need more information please let me know.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Have you used new pads and paste or just the old ones? How are the prints of the pads and paste? Maybe wrong pads are placed to wrong components? This is really strange as the block was running fine before. Something must be wrong installed. I dont have any other explanation really.