(GV-N166TOC-6GD) Waterblock not matching GPU

War4peace

Hi,
In December 2019 I have bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G, 6GB GDDR6 (GV-N166TOC-6GD) GPU because there was a matching waterblock from Alphacool from it. About a month ago, the GPU stopped functioning so after I RMA it I got a replacement (identical product).
Problem is, the waterblock no longer matches the GPU well. More intriguing, I have searched for the waterblock in the Alphacool HWConfig tool again, and I get a result (the same thing I own), but the URL no longer exist, the product ID (11733) can no longer be found and after manually browsing I no longer find the waterblock on the Alphacool website.
The waterblock's name is "Alphacool NexXxoS GPX - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 Ti M03 - mit Backplate - Schwarz". It disappeared completely from Alphacool's shop, as if it never existed, however it did and I had bought it, this Amazon link shows it existed at some point.

The issue I am having with the new GPU and the waterblock is the GPU die no longer touches the waterblock's cooling area. There seems to be a gap of 0.5mm or so, I have assembled and disassembled the waterblock several times, the screws are flush with the PCB, they are as tightened as they can be, it's obvious when shining some light from a side onto the screws/risers "sandwich", still the GPU die is not flush against the cooling chamber.

Now I am starting to wonder whether the old GPU died because of the same thing, when disassembling the previous one I saw the die print on the waterblock cooling chamber was pretty small and I had experienced rather high GPU temperatures while testing (65-70 degrees Celsius).

So now I am looking at a brand new disassembled GPU and a waterblock which seems to not fit it as it should. I had them mounted in a mITX system so the options for replacing it with a different GPU are very narrow.

Is there something that can be done about it? More interestingly, why did the waterblock disappear from shop completely? Was it not good? Were the measurements not right?

Would you be able to re-measure the waterblock if I send you the GPU? I think the solution is replacement of the 6x screw "risers" with a wee bit shorter ones. let me know if you want pictures.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Is there something that can be done about it?
Sure we can do something about ^^ First of all the block is EOL and we do not produce it anymore. That is why you can not find it at our shop. I do not think that this issue has killed your graphics card. I mean if you have used it for 7 or 8 months and everything was fine hmm :unsure: If there is a gap between the GPU and the block you need some graphit foil . You can place the foil between the block and the GPU to get the old temperatures back. I need you to write an email to info@alphacool.com so we can send you some graphit foil to solve this issue asap. Some pictures would be awsome.

War4peace

My wife has been using it, and she has been using it sparingly. She played Diablo III a couple times, the third time she played it the GPU died. But no matter, I got a replacement, all I want now is for the waterblock to fit :)
I will send the e-mail with pictures and everything. Thank you!