Hotspot problem on 7900 XTX with water block alphacool

Yosaro

Hello:), I have just put my XFX 7900 XT under water.

Following the instructions to the letter, I fitted the graphics card and waterblock, put everything under water and carried out various tests.

I quickly realized that the hotspot temperature had risen to 110°.
So I disassembled the graphics card, checked that my thermal pads were in the right place as indicated in the manual and that the thermal paste had been properly applied.

I tried again, changing the thermal paste, but nothing worked. I've taken it apart 4 times now.

Before I put my graphics card under water, I didn't have any hotspots.

The only solution I have is that the waterblock is defective.

If anyone can help me :(

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

every GPU has a Hotspot temperature sensor, even when they are air cooled.

When mounting the water block, did you check if the PCB is straight? Unfortunately AMD has a big Problem that their PCB´s are bend. When mounting a water block, you have to make sure, that the PCB is straight and that every component is making contact with the water block. Which Hotspot sensor is rising to 110°C? Is it the GPU_Hotspot GCD? WHen yes, this sensor is directly sitting on the GPU DIe and is indicating that the GPU DIE doesn´t make completely contact with the water block. Here it it can help to add a additional Thermal pad behind it, to press the PCB straight at this place.

Yosaro

Hi, I'm going to disassemble my graphics card and take it to my store to do this.
I work at GrosBill and I came into contact with one of your collaborators on Instagram, he advised me to indicate my problem here.
Yes, it's the GPU_Hotspot GCD that goes up to 110 and the GPU MCD6 that also goes up to 110°.
If you have a plan or photo of the pad to add in question I'm a taker ^^
Thanks for your help!

Yosaro

Hi,

every GPU has a Hotspot temperature sensor, even when they are air cooled.

When mounting the water block, did you check if the PCB is straight? Unfortunately AMD has a big Problem that their PCB´s are bend. When mounting a water block, you have to make sure, that the PCB is straight and that every component is making contact with the water block. Which Hotspot sensor is rising to 110°C? Is it the GPU_Hotspot GCD? WHen yes, this sensor is directly sitting on the GPU DIe and is indicating that the GPU DIE doesn´t make completely contact with the water block. Here it it can help to add a additional Thermal pad behind it, to press the PCB straight at this place.
Hi, I added the thermal pad on the GCD_HOTSPOT, I don't have too much temperature rise BUT I have the MCD6 Hotspot GPU which is superior to the other 5.
I'd like to know what the MCD GPU is to see where the problem comes from ?
Thank You.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

the MCD Sensor is sitting at the memories. Where exactly I can´t say. But it would indicate that also one of the memories doesn´t have good contact.