I just bought Eisbaer Aurora 420, when should I perform maintenance (refill)? Also question about bios settings.

artem

Hello.

I read that to increase longevity of a watercooling system, you should perform maintenance.

I know that I have to clean radiators and check fans. But I'm new to watercooling.

1. When should I start to worry about refilling?
2. Maybe something I should do other than refilling to increase longevity?
3. Should I run Eisbaer Aurora 420 pump at full speed? (I found threads about other products, just want to be 100% sure)

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @artem

Yes, water cooling requires a little more maintenance than air cooling. But that doesn't mean you have to do it every few months. As a rule, it is enough here every few years, I personally do it once a year because I completely disassemble the PC here to clean it from dust.

On the one hand, it depends on the cycle itself. Most Aio's are closed and therefore not intended for maintenance, so basically a disposable product.
An AIO like the Eisbaer now, which you can expand and rebuild, makes it easier to maintain. But there is no direct interval like in a car with the oil change, here it is more of an observation. So if the temperature is no longer as good as it was at the beginning (rises quickly and is much higher under load), then you can check the water level, and so on.
A fluid change is enough here every few years.

A custom water cooling requires more maintenance and observation, because due to their size and the fact that they are assembled by oneself, they are more at risk of particles getting into the circuit and causing problems (algae formation in the water, leaks when assembled incorrectly).
But it is also the case here, if the temperatures are unchanged or the water does not change color then there is no need for action.

In principle, a radiator is nothing more than an air cooler, which means that it can also collect dust over the years, which reduces the cooling capacity. This can either be sucked free with a vacuum cleaner or blown free with a compressor, it is important here that the fine cooling fins are not bent. It's the same with the cooler itself, as long as the temperatures are right or the water isn't cloudy or has particles in it. Then you don't have to worry that the cooler has clogged and you have to clean it.

In order to increase longevity, the right installation is particularly important. With an Aio, the radiator must be above the cooler/pump unit so that the air can collect in the radiator and not get to the pump. Since the pumps break down very quickly when they come into contact with air, since the shaft bearing is lubricated by the water.

Yes, the pumps on Aio's should always run at full speed. As these produce less flow due to their small size and this also influences the cooling capacity.

Best Regards