M07 Vega waterblock advice needed

JDids

Hi folks,
just watercooled my Powercolor Red Devil Vega 64, with an M07 block.

I'm having some issues- I copied the thermal pad layout from the RD's original cooler, assuming I got good contact as the entire block and heatsink gets hot during use, but gaming is sending my memory controller and hotspot temps too high, and I've had a couple of crashes.
Mem controller is hitting high 70s, and takes a long time to come back down, hotspot hitting almost 103 degrees.
Currently running undervolted to keep things in check...

There are two little rubbery nodules at the far end of the card which press against the block- if I tighten the screws, it actually bends the card- are these rubber things removable? I'd prefer to ask rather than break something!

Anyone have advice? I'm fully assuming this is going to involve draining the ruddy system and having another go...!

:)

JDids

Hi, tricky getting a photo as the card is currently in use... you can make out the two rubber nodules here, and also see the card is being pushed to the backplate- this is bending the card. Also the fan pins are very nearly touching the heatsink, and will then get in the way if I remove the rubber pieces.

I'm sure I must have done something wrong here...

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
You need to take take out the plastic spacer parts before installing the block :) That is probably the problem ^^

JDids

Ah well.

It can wait a couple of days, I'll just avoid heavy gaming! Just bought an Eisbecher vpp655 (not sure my X4 is really up to the job) so I'll do it all in one hit!

:)

JDids

Ok, so I totally forgot to update this...

I took it apart about a month later, and carefully remounted the block, with a lot more paste, according to the instructions in the article you sent me.

It worked!
Running Heaven maxed out at 1440p (which hit over 100c and caused throttling before) now gives hotspot temps of 70-73c. I've not managed to get it any higher yet!
I pulled those little rubber things off, no problems there..

Very, very happy with that. The V64 is a great card if you treat it right ;) Hardline tubing and some cable extenders (so I can tidy up a bit!) are next on the list.

Cheers guys! :D :D :D

Specs:
2700X (fine-tuned :))
Asus ROG Strix X470F
32GB TeamGroup@ 2933c14 fast timings (or 3200c14 with 2 DIMMs)
Samsung 970 NVMe 250GB boot drive, several Samsung SSDs and a 1TB WD Blue.
Vega64 Red Devil/Alphacool M07 waterblock
360mm and 2x240mm rads
Alphacool Eisbecher pump/res
XSPC Raystorm Pro CPU block
Thermaltake Level 20XT case
XFX XTR 750W PSU. (Also on upgrade list)
11x120mm and 4x140mm fans. Not joking...

https%3A//i.imgur.com/BBlI7Rl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/BBlI7Rl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/zbbj52x.jpg[/img]']

X00awpA.jpg

DfvBxEn.jpg

JDids

Another little update- chucked another bit in!
Also re-pasted with liquid metal. Not managed to clock 70c with any benching software as yet :D

Looks much better, I think!

w0OTU3Z.jpg