Memory temperature with Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 with Backplate (Reference)

Kleimo

Hello,

I purchased this block for 3090 at launch and was wondering if there is some changes for memory thermal pads. Problem is that memory temps are about 90c at full load and I think it should not be that high?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
GDDR6X has much higher temps than GDDR6 (non x). They are fine with up to 110°C. So no problem here. We have also some 3090 cards here for our own using since.... well before the release of cards and they are always working under full load (renderings and things like that). We have no problems.

DaveW

I'm also seeing quite high junction temperatures on my 3080 FTW3 with the Aurora, around 100°C under full load with 22°C water temperature and 36°C core temp. I am looking at disassembling my card and reapplying, but want to be ready to replace the memory pads if they get damaged in the process. Would the Alphacool Eisschicht Ultra Soft thermal pad 3W / mk 100x100x1mm be the equivalent to the whitish 1mm pads that are included with the block?

If I replaced them with the 11W/mk thermal pads (pn 12456) would 1mm still be the appropriate thickness for that location? I haven't taken it apart to see the compression on the existing pads yet. Thanks

yagop

They are fine with up to 110°C.

Hell no, that's a lie! They are not fine at 110°C, they start throttling at 100°C. They suffer degradation on time at those temps.

Alphacool did a really bad job at cooling VRAM. They used bad quality thermal pads plus wrong thickness.

I replaced all thermal pads (backplate too) with 12W/mk ones and VRAM temps went from 88°C on gaming to 60°C. Mining Ethereum temps went from 110°C (reaching 77MHs) to 82°C (reaching 88MHs).

Clearly Alphacool design is not ok. Micron (GDDR6X manufacturer) state temperatures from 0 to 95°C.

Last edited:

Kleimo

Hell no, that's a lie! They are not fine at 110°C, they start throttling at 100°C. They suffer degradation on time at those temps.

Alphacool did a really bad job at cooling VRAM. They used bad quality thermal pads plus wrong thickness.

I replaced all thermal pads (backplate too) with 12W/mk ones and VRAM temps went from 88°C on gaming to 60°C. Mining Ethereum temps went from 110°C (reaching 77MHs) to 82°C (reaching 88MHs).

Clearly Alphacool design is not ok. Micron (GDDR6X manufacturer) state temperatures from 0 to 95°C.
How thick? 1,5mm?

yagop

On my 3080 TUF backplate memory thermal pads are 3mm and core capacitors pad is 2mm.
Inner memory pads are ~1.5mm but I had to compress a 2mm to achieve that.
I doubt 3090 can be cooled passively properly. See some Alphacool competitors are water cooling the backplate too...

coccosoids

Can you tell me what gpu do you have and what brand of thermal pads you changed the stock ones with please?

yagop

I've a 3080 TUF Gaming as I said previously. I replaced all thermal pads:

I used GELID (12W/mk) for the 3mm and Thermalright (12.8 W/mK) for the others.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, I'll just interject here for a moment ;-)

Basically, it has to be said that there is no mistake on our part. Coolers & pads were developed on the basis of the technical data provided to us by the manufacturer. For this reason, there is no need to make any improvements.

It is now known that there are package problems with the RTX 3080/3090 cards. The manufacturers have different tolerances here, which we cannot react to.

IgorsLAB has described it aptly: https://www.igorslab.de/en/geforce-...water-and-air-coolers-so-heavy-investigative/

Whoever is affected by this will get help from us! Simply write to support (info@alphacool.com) and with the help of pictures you will be sent the right pads free of charge. Doesn't that sound like an acceptable solution?

MacFry

I've a 3080 TUF Gaming as I said previously. I replaced all thermal pads:

I used GELID (12W/mk) for the 3mm and Thermalright (12.8 W/mK) for the others.

I also replaced thermal pads because memory was up to 110degrees in some conditions with the pad sold with the block.
Didn't you have any problems with GELID 3mm ? Mine was too thick / solid , i had to flatten it on the ram modules because the GPU would not be in contact with the waterblock if simply put on. I think 2mm would have been better.

sickhead racing

Whoever is affected by this will get help from us! Simply write to support (info@alphacool.com) and with the help of pictures you will be sent the right pads free of charge. Doesn't that sound like an acceptable solution?

I also have an Asus TUF RTX 3080 and seeing high temperatures (that's how I got here). Will you send out a whole new set of pads? What pictures do you need? Simply ones with the installed card / water block in my system?

Thomas_S

Staff member
hi @sickhead racing , normally we need pictures of the card where the imprints of the pads can be seen after mounting. Here we can determine whether there is too much, too little or no contact at all with the components to be cooled. If you have the problem with the package, please write to the support team and describe your problem. (info@alphacool.com) Support will then tell you exactly what we need to make a decision.

sickhead racing

Ok...so you want me to drain all of my loop, disassemble my GPU / water block to make pictures and then I still have to "hope" you guys "confirm" my problem and send me some pads. Meanwhile I'm supposed to wait or go through the hustle of assebling and disassembling my stuff several times for a known problem (as you surely are aware, this is not the only thread mentioning this). This really does not sound like "Whoever is affected by this will get help from us!" at least not in a convenient way for the customer...

Thomas_S

Staff member
Unfortunately, the tolerances are different for each package & we have no possibility to react with a "general solution". And yes, we need the pictures of the impressions of the pads to be able to see which pads need to be replaced. If that means disassembling your system, then that is necessary. I can promise you that our support team has so far found an acceptable solution for every customer on the basis of the images received.

Fizzyceci

GDDR6X has much higher temps than GDDR6 (non x). They are fine with up to 110°C. So no problem here. We have also some 3090 cards here for our own using since.... well before the release of cards and they are always working under full load (renderings and things like that). We have no problems.
They changed the specifications of those memory modules. 110 is no longer seen as acceptable range
105 celsius is the new max specification

duniek

Ok...so you want me to drain all of my loop, disassemble my GPU / water block to make pictures and then I still have to "hope" you guys "confirm" my problem and send me some pads. Meanwhile I'm supposed to wait or go through the hustle of assebling and disassembling my stuff several times for a known problem (as you surely are aware, this is not the only thread mentioning this). This really does not sound like "Whoever is affected by this will get help from us!" at least not in a convenient way for the customer...

i have the same issue

stock pads - 110*C
I replaced with thermalright 1mm - 110*C

i tried 1,5mm (but I know these will be too thick) and with them, memory 60*C but core 80*C

so I put 1,0mm again + 0,3mm copper shims - still to much but core drop to 55*C now - (with bare 1mm i got 33*C)

so maybe 0,1mm or 0,2mm copper shims will be good but for now I have only 0,3, maybe I tried with 0,6mm + 0,5mm pad but already I waste half of day for this nonsense

Thomas_S

Staff member
Hi, probably Nvidia's package problem again.
Please write an email to our support (info@alphacool.com) & send pictures of your PCB with the pads, where the marks on the pads can be clearly evaluated. If necessary, our support will send you the required pads quickly & free of charge.

Marek1337

Hey,

same here Ram-Temps are near 100 Degrees while mining on my Suprim x 3090‘s.

Dear Alphacoolians, would you mind launching an watercooled backplate as your competitor did? I would take 2 … even be your “Beta“ Tester ?

Greetings from Germany
Marek

pdifolco

With my 3080 Eagle/Eisbaer2 I have max memory temp at 90c mining, much less gaming, all that with fans mostly silent at around 50% (that don't change much the mem temp anyway), so can't see any issue

With stock "cooling", they had no pads and went up to 108c, adding pads made them down to 96c, Eisbaer2 to 90c now...