MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid- Core 13475 WB

PorkchopExpress

Hello Support,

I have moved my MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid from an EKWB Active Backplate setup to Alphacool's Core 13475 waterblock. I am getting extremely high GPU core and hotspot temps. 16-20c delta core\hotspot, and 65c core temp @400w with 23.5c water (Mora420 radiator with dual d5 pumps at 4k RPM). For comparison my EKWB block on the same GPU was 8c delta, ~50c (some variance in the water and room temp).

After multiple block remounts, it's clear I am not getting good contact on the core. There's massive crushing\tearing of the outer thermal pads on the VRM. This isn't surprising, as I had to step down from 1mm pads to .5 pads for memory and VRM on the EKWB to stop avoid PCB bowing and let the core lay flat. Being that I have had the same issue across 2x separate blocks, I am assuming measurements are a bit off on the core.

Have you had any success in house, or with customers rolling out the included 1mm thermal pads rather than purchasing new ones? I'm hoping to avoid having to order new pads.

Thank you!

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

Could you please send us some photos from the imprints of the thermal pads and paste, so that we can take a look on it.

PorkchopExpress

Sure thing.

These are after 3-4 mounts and putting a bit of extra pressure with a fixit smaller screw driver. The impressions are way better, but hotspot was still at 85c with GPU hitting 65 or so (water was 23.5c).

The memory pads are coming out at .84mm-.86mm after the last mount (from the center of the chip, just looking for light between my calipers). The 4x MPS2215 voltage chips are coming out .54mm.

IMG_4159.jpgIMG_4160.jpgSure thing-

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI,

Thank you for the photos. Unfortunately, the imprint of the thermal paste doesn´t look good and is indicating that your GPU is affected with the GPU DIE problem, that it is soldered outside the specification from Nvidia. Please contact our support (info@alphacool.com) to get thermal pads, which solve the problem. DOn´t forget to link this thread and to attach a invoice copy to the mail.

PorkchopExpress

Thanks again for your help. When I put the new pads on, should I still only be using the small included screw driver to install, or does the softer pads require a little more torque to maintain good contact on the gpu die?