Nexxos (original) on am4.

DarkStar82

I am looking for an am4 retention bracket for original Nexxos xp. Do they exist?

Thanks for your time.

Luc.

DarkStar82

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ah.. wait... you are really talking about the first XP? I'm sorry, that was so far off the mark that I was sure you meant the XP³. For the old XP we dont have a bracket, sorry.

DarkStar82

Hi Eddy. Yeah I have an old school block :) original Nexxos. I'm not above replacing it but it's been such a great bit of kit. Big beefy chunk of copper on it too. Still mirror like after many many years.

I have one of those brackets in your link, it is holding my nexxos on my am3+ board now but I'm moving to am4 and having never even seen one yet I was under the impression they had a different mounting for coolers. I guess I will wait and see what my board comes with and go from there. Rest assured if I need a new block it will certainly be yourself as I probably won't need to replace until 2040! :)

Thanks for your efforts.

kaska_pt

For the record I also have NexXxos XP Silver, since around 2005. Bought it with a laing pump, plexi, reservor and NexXxos Rev III 360 radiator :)
Oh man the cpus this block has cooled... Athlon 3200+, E8400, R5 2600 and now a R7 5800x.

I'm thinking of changing it for the XP³ after a lot of research, but would really like to know the micro channels surface area.
I know the XPX is better but I'm almost sure it has a smaller fin area, so the XP³ should outperform it in Ryzen cpu's, due to them having the hotspot on the lower part of the chip. If the micro channel area of the XP³ covers everything, I believe it should be better.
Can you confirm please?
Thank you