Pump noise issue

Intrance

Hello!

I recently got my setup from Alphacool to build into my Louqe Ghost S1 small form factor case. It seemed the best solution for a watercooling noob to fit into this small case. This way I get to cool both CPU and GPU without running into flow rate issues, because of the pumps on both units.

So it is set up to run from the 240mm radiator to the Eisbaer LT CPU block/pump, then to the Eiswolf GPU block/pump and back to the 240mm radiator that came with the Eiswolf. I did adjust some of the tubing for length as there simply is not a lot of space in the Ghost S1 case.

I ran into the same issue I believe one your other customers had, namely that the tubes or probably rather the quick connect fittings from the CPU block were set up the wrong way (red being blue and blue being red etc). This was before I did any kind of "modding". So when I followed the manual for looping the Eiswolf in, the pumps were actually fighting each other and the CPU temp was ridiculous. I quickly corrected that.

Now my main problem is that the Eiswolf definitely seems to have air bubbles and no amount of shaking and topping up the radiator seems to solve it, I've literally been at it for a full day, shaking it up, tilting the system around to get air bubbles out etc, following the Youtube video from you guys. Did the pump get damaged because it got looped in incorrectly at first, working against the Eisbaer? Or would GPU orientation make any difference (it is mounted vertically with both ports at the top)? Or can it be an issue of differing pump RPMs? I see the Eisbaer runs ~2800-2900rpm at full speed while the Eiswolf does ~2400-2500rpm? The Eisbaer seems to not have the issue and I can only hear the same sort of pump noise that I know from other AIOs though perhaps at a higher pitch, but no sort of rattle that would indicate air to my untrained ear.

Sample:

First is CPU side, second is GPU side, and apologies for hitting the mic port with my fingers while turning over to the GPU side :p.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
and apologies for hitting the mic port with my fingers while turning over to the GPU side :p
Made my day LOL ? ? ? it scared me because my speakers volume was at limit :)

It is really hard to bleed the air out of an Eiswolf. We had some customers who could manage it but mosy of them are not able to do it. It can not be an issue from different RPM,s of the pumps. The pumps has got a tolorance of 100 to 300 RPM which is normal because a pump does never run linear. May i ask where you are from?

Intrance

I'm Dutch, but living in Estonia.

Would it help to loop in a reservoir for filling and get the air out in there? It would be the last thing to try before I give up on this because the noise is driving me nuts.

Michael Nager

I have that exact same rattling noise coming from the pump and it is worrisome.

The pump was absolutely silent until last week and I was hoping that the noise would just sort itself out.

It hasn't.

When I got the Eisbaer 360 LT I spent the whole day (as in 24 hours) trying to get any air out of the loop. It was painful for me, because I have had two spine operations and have spinal arthritis, so picking up and waving the radiator around and holding it at different angles during the procedure was not easy task.

I put cling film over the funnel to make sure that no foreign debris could get into it and I used a needle to poke a couple of miniscule holes into the cling film so that no pressure differences could interfere with the process.

It really is NOT an acceptable state of affairs.

That crackling noise is extremely annoying, and what is worse is that I don't have the confidence in the product to keep my expensive CPU (a Ryzen R9 3950X) within an acceptable temperature range.

Luckily that system is not yet my main system and is at the moment still in the testing phase before I replace my current i7-4790K which has been running 24/7 for over 1,750 days now using a different AIO.

This is the first time I have ever experienced pump noise from an AIO, and for it to happen so soon after I bought it in the middle of December last year ( so it has been in use for all of three months) is extremely annoying.

Not only is there a noise coming from the pump, but you can feel the vibration of it through the pump housing.

I bought the AIO from AquaTuning on 17.12.2019.

The pump is being used on a flat testbed, it is not in a case at a vertical angle.

From what I have read, this seems to be a known issue, or rather I have read a number of posts on different forums documenting the same problem I have.

How common or uncommon is this, and if I do RMA the product would I be better off asking if I can pay the difference in price and just get an Eisbaer 360 (non LT) instead?

I need to have the system be reliable and of course, aside from the PSU the cooling is the next most important part of running a rig.

Intrance

Well, as a side note from me, aside from the noise, it does keep everything cool without problems. But the noise is simply not acceptable. When you buy a setup to be relatively silent and cool, it is very disappointing to have this kind of rattle basically ruin the whole thing, and especially at this price point. It's not a small amount of money.

Even if it would be solvable by looping in a reservoir for the bleeding, I'd need to get a reservoir solely for that purpose, plus perhaps extra tubes and fittings to loop it in.

Michael Nager

Well, as a side note from me, aside from the noise, it does keep everything cool without problems. But the noise is simply not acceptable. When you buy a setup to be relatively silent and cool, it is very disappointing to have this kind of rattle basically ruin the whole thing, and especially at this price point. It's not a small amount of money.

Even if it would be solvable by looping in a reservoir for the bleeding, I'd need to get a reservoir solely for that purpose, plus perhaps extra tubes and fittings to loop it in.
The thing is, with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU you are fighting for every degree Celsius of cooling because the hotspot (in the case of the 3950X hotspots) of the chiplet(s) being off centre.

So the business part of the cooler, namely where the heat exchange fins are in the water-block, only half covers the those hotspots.

Idle temps have gone up by about three to four degrees (and yes I always compare that to the ambient temp of the room) and, being a test system it always idles in the same condition with regard to what is loaded.

If you have an older Ryzen or an Intel CPU then you won't notice the difference so much because those CPUs are located under the middle of the IHS.

The other PITA is that every time I take the cooler off and put it back on again using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM, it takes about a week or so for the temps to go down by another two to three degrees as the system settles down again.

Just as I had everything running as optimally as is possible with the 3950X this happens with the pump.

Truth be told, I am bloody angry.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
@Intrance a reservoir would help a lot it is much easier to bleed the air out and refill the system.

@Michael Nager sorry to hear that and there is no point to be angry (which is understandable) we are here to help dude. Can you shoot a short video or sound data of that noise and upload it here please?

Michael Nager

@Intrance a reservoir would help a lot it is much easier to bleed the air out and refill the system.

@Michael Nager sorry to hear that and there is no point to be angry (which is understandable) we are here to help dude. Can you shoot a short video or sound data of that noise and upload it here please?
This is what it sounds like and I think anyone hearing it will agree with me speaking in the audio clip that the sound is not tolerable

It would not accept the ending ".wma" so I renamed it to "alphacool Eisbaer.txt".

To make it audible, just change the name back again to "alphacool Eisbaer.wma"

Actually I just tried, and when it asked me what I wanted to open the file with I clicked on "VLC Media Player" and it played just fine.

Attachments

• alphacool Eisbaer.txt
    605.6 KB · Views: 25

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Thank you for the audio clip. This sounds not like there is air in the system. Must be a pump axis problem. Where do you have purchased the product from? Directly from us? May i ask where you are from?

Intrance

Well, that's pretty much the same sound as mine. So a decent possibility of the same issue. I'll try to get a cleaner recording later tonight or tomorrow. Mine was purchased directly from Alphacool.

Michael Nager

As I stated in an earlier post, I bought the cooler from AquaTuning.

The problem is, that if I open the cooler to try to fix it myself then I void the warranty.

I live in the UK.

I really don't think there is any other choice other than to RMA the product.

Michael Nager

Wenn Sie wollen koennen Sie auch auf deutsch schreiben. Einer meiner Muttersprachen ist deutsch (ich habe zwei, englisch und deutsch).

Michael Nager

Das können wir gerne :) Macht das leben um einiges einfacher ^^
Schauen Sie sich folgendes an, es koennte Ihnen hilfreich sein:

martinoermando

Hello!

I recently got my setup from Alphacool to build into my Louqe Ghost S1 small form factor case. It seemed the best solution for a watercooling noob to fit into this small case. This way I get to cool both CPU and GPU without Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin running into flow rate issues, because of the pumps on both units.

So it is set up to run from the 240mm radiator to the Eisbaer LT CPU block/pump, then to the Eiswolf GPU block/pump and back to the 240mm radiator that came with the Eiswolf. I did adjust some of the tubing for length as there simply is not a lot of space in the Ghost S1 case.

I ran into the same issue I believe one your other customers had, namely that the tubes or probably rather the quick connect fittings from the CPU block were set up the wrong way (red being blue and blue being red etc). This was before I did any kind of "modding". So when I followed the manual for looping the Eiswolf in, the pumps were actually fighting each other and the CPU temp was ridiculous. I quickly corrected that.

Now my main problem is that the Eiswolf definitely seems to have air bubbles and no amount of shaking and topping up the radiator seems to solve it, I've literally been at it for a full day, shaking it up, tilting the system around to get air bubbles out etc, following the Youtube video from you guys. Did the pump get damaged because it got looped in incorrectly at first, working against the Eisbaer? Or would GPU orientation make any difference (it is mounted vertically with both ports at the top)? Or can it be an issue of differing pump RPMs? I see the Eisbaer runs ~2800-2900rpm at full speed while the Eiswolf does ~2400-2500rpm? The Eisbaer seems to not have the issue and I can only hear the same sort of pump noise that I know from other AIOs though perhaps at a higher pitch, but no sort of rattle that would indicate air to my untrained ear.

Sample:

First is CPU side, second is GPU side, and apologies for hitting the mic port with my fingers while turning over to the GPU side :p.
Idle temps have gone up by about three to four degrees (and yes I always compare that to the ambient temp of the room) and, being a test system it always idles in the same condition with regard to what is loaded.

Last edited:

Jirka_S

Hello everyone,
I've just seen this topic and I had to reply. I have totally same issue as Michael Nager getting the same noise. My Eisbaer 360lt was perfect for about 18 months, but past days for some reason, my CPU temperatures started to raise, so I though I'm asking too much from my 8700k, but it was weird that the temperatures raised to 80° in idle while I was used to 45°. Then I couldn't work with any apps, getting 100° (for first time in my life haha) while one side of tube was warm, and another stayed in ambient temp. Now I'm getting totally the same noise as Michael. So it seems I'll ask for repair/money back from our seller in Prague. Just a question... what is the most common solution of this situation from Alphacool? Will it get repaired, or can get a new peace/money in case the pump is gone?
Thank you! :)

Last edited: