Question about Alphacool Eisblock Aurora

Bearukun

Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase an Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acetal GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 with Backplate (Reference)10667 directly from this site, for my Inno3D 3080 X4. But I've seen KitGurus youtube review (
) showing that the vram temps are really high due to the thermal pads don't make contact to the backplate (2mm pads). He say that the newer revisions will have 3mm pads, in the kit but when I look at the the manual https://www.alphacool.com/download/1020333_Eisblock_Aurora_Acetal_Gpx_N_3080_Manual.pdf, it only shows that 2mm pads are included? Will the pads be included as extra in the package or hasn't this change happened yet?

Also on their written review they write (link to article here):

Alphacool sent us some 3mm thermal pads to replace the 2mm backplate pads from the kit. After re-testing with the 3mm pads fitted to the backplate, there was no significant improvement in VRAM temperature.

And a bit further down they write:

Using the Alphacool block, the VRAM temperature was not above the recommended operating range, but with our Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC card, VRAM temperature was excessive. KitGuru also tested a Palit RTX 3080 with a different sample of the same Alphacool block and similar behaviour was observed with that block too. However, this block again was an early sample. Alphacool has suggested that it will try to replicate the issue internally and investigate the problem, so we will update this article if we hear more.

Has the issue been fixed, or can I except the same vram temps on my Inno3D 3080 X4 card with the Alphacool Eisblock Aurora?

I will be purchasing it together with the "Alphacool Eissturm Hurricane Copper 45 2x140mm - Komplettset", will it be sufficient for a Ryzen 7 3700X and the 3080?

Hope someone can give some clarification, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-03 231407.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 231407.png
    171 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I have no idea wht they have done in the video and i have no ide who told them that we will put in 2mm pads. The reference block is the best and most selled block right now. We have brands and system builders who have used this cooler from the beginning without any problems. The only known real problem is, that the chip package from Nvidia sometimes has different heights. Than it could be, that you need 1,5mm thermal bards for the rams on the side with the gpu. But that problem is very rar.

Eissturm set with only a 280 (2x 140mm) radiator for a Ryzen 3700x and a 3080 is not enough. We are talking about more than 450W waste of heat. For that you need more radiator space to get a good and quiet cooling solution.

Bearukun

Thanks for the answer, then I’ll go with that GPU block.

How much radiator radiator space would you suggest would be enough?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
I would go with a 360mm radiator. There is a rough rule for radiator space....

Less noise as possible
80-100W per 120mm radiator space

Very quiet
100-120W per 120mm radiator space

Low noise
120-140W per 120mm radiator space

I can live with some noise
140-160W per 120mm radiator space

Noise is ok, i have headsets
160-200W per 120mm radiatorspace

Noise? The louder the better
200-300W per 120mm radiator space

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
About the 2 and 3mm pads.... that was a missunderstaing from my side. Kitguru got one of the first samples and they doesn`t had the 3mm pads included for 3080, that was the issue. But they are now inlcuded. Sorry, my fault.

Bearukun

The case that I have is a DeepCool Macube 110 (nothing special I know), I was thinking to use 2x140MM front intake to get cool air in the case, and then use a 280mm rad in the top and a 120 mm rad in the back as exhaust - or is this worse than a single 360mm? The only problem is that a 360 would only bearly fit in the front. (note that I don't plan to use the quick connector, so I'll use the fittings from that to the gpu block)

Attachments

• macube110.jpeg
    macube110.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.57.45.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.57.45.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 5

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Forget the 120 and take instead a 280 or 360 for the front. Doesn`t matter that you are pushing a bit warmer air into tha case. Thats normal and not a problem.