Questions about custom watercooling 6800 XT Nitro + SE

Dakeyras

Hi guys,

I want to make my first water cooling, because there is no AIO for my Sapphire 6800 XT Nitro+ SE.

I found a good list of components in the previous ReLapS's topic who have a similar question, but I have some more questions :

- The Alphacool waterblock is compatible with the 6800 XT Nitro+ SE and the non SE model, but when I looked another brand waterblock compatible with the nitro+ model, they say that their model is not compatible with the SE variant, what do you think about that ? Can I truly believe the compatibility list of Alphacool model ?

- I don't want to add my 3600x in the loop now, but in the future if I want to add a better CPU, should I prefer some different component like a better or another radiator, or a better pump ?

Here is the modified list found in the ReLapS's Topic :

For the fans I already have 3 Arctic P12 PWM PST
1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiator
1x Alphacool Eisstation DC-Ultra incl. Alphacool DC-LT 2600 Ultra pump
1x Alphacool HF screw-on nozzle TPV - 12.7 / 7.6mm straight - black - kit of 6
1x Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV 12.7 / 7.6 - Black Matte 3.3m (10ft) retail box 330cm
1x Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon RX 6800XT/6900XT Nitro+ with Backplate
2x Apex Liquid ECO 1000ml clear
1x Alphacool Apex filling funnel G1/4"

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Whether a card is compatible or not depends on the cut-outs for certain components. If we get a map on which you can already see that preparations have been made for certain components, then we make generous cut-outs in these places. As a result, we are often lucky that cards that are still to come are also compatible with this cooler. Other manufacturers often don't do this, their problem ;-)
If you want to expand the circuit later, i.e. with a CPU cooler and possibly another radiator, I would recommend a VPP/D5 or DDC pump. The DC-LT will be too weak for such a circuit.

Dakeyras

Thanks for your advice.

I have an old Coolermaster Cosmos S case where I can place one 360mm and one 120mm radiators, so will it be enough for an overclocked 6800xt and a 3600x or better CPU if I add the CPU to the loop ?

The second option I'm thinking for is to change my case with a Lian Li O11D XL for example, and put 2x360mm radiators.

Here's the list for this option, what do you think about it ? Should I add or change some parts ?

2x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiator V.2
1x Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora - Acryl Black Digital RGB
1x Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-A Radeon RX 6800XT/6900XT Nitro+ with Backplate
1x Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Acetal reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3
2x Alphacool HF compression Fitting TPV - 12,7/7,6mm Straight - Black - 6pcs Kit
1x Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV 12,7/7,6 - black matte 3,3m (10ft) retail box
1x Filling bottle 500 ml PE-LD
1x (or 2x?) Apex Liquid ECO 1000ml clear

I have some more questions :

1. A valve with a Y is a good idea ?
2. One radiator pushing air outside>inside and the other pulling inside>outside is OK or is it better to have 2 radiators pulling air inside>outside ?
3. V2 ST30 radiators are out of stock now, what's the difference between V1 and V2 ?

Thanks !

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
1. Yes
2. Depends where you mount the radiators. Best way is if you push on one side air in and on another side air out.
3. V.2 has flat stop plugs and 15 FPI, V.1 not and 16 FPI (not a big difference).

Parts looking ok for me. You can start with one 360 radiator but maybe it will be not quiet enough for you..... not sure. And yes, i would buy 2L liquid. Maybe you have to disassamble something and to refill the loop again.

Small but very helpuff tool: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/pump...bya-atx-ueberbrueckungsstecker-24-pin-schwarz
You can start you PSU without the complete PC with it. Easier for filling your loop.

Dakeyras

I have 300w TDP for the GPU and 95w for the CPU, +10% with overclock it's a total of +-435w TDP. It's 145w per 120mm for 1 radiator. It can be OK with some noise as you say for a cheaper loop....

I already have this tool, and a second PSU if needed.

I'll continue thinking about all the options I have, but now I'm sure of the choice of the mains parts.
I aim to place order in end of month, I have some more time to choose between full loop or a cheaper loop :)

Thanks for your help !

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
You can see my signature? 2. PC at home also has only one 360mm ST30 radiator and it has ~ 500W waste of heat with OC. So it works, but the fans have to run with ~ 1200rpm at full load. Temperatures are not the best... max. ~60°C on GPU and ~65° on CPU (+/- 5° depends on ambient temperature). But it works well.

Dakeyras

It's a good example ! Your temperatures are not so bad. So a second radiator is only for silence.

Considering that, I hesitate between 2 choices at the moment :

1. Keep my old and very used (on/off button doesn't work, corrosion on some parts...) Coolermaster Cosmos S with only one 360 rad. More noise, but a lot more affordable ! It's the reasonnable choice.

2. Change my case with a Lian Li O11D XL with 2 360 rad (don't know the best rad configuration in this case ?) for a quieter PC and better temp, my primary goal. Of course it's not necessary, it's only for my pleasure.... But is it wrong ? :unsure:

I need a reflection time...

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Take your time ;-) Its always better to think twice about something than to throw your money too fast away for things which are not important for you at the end.(y) ;)

If you have further questions... we are here :)

Dakeyras

Yes I know, it's why I planned my final decision for the end of month. ;)

Thank for your help, I appreciate !

Dakeyras

I just see one thing about all the V.2 radiators, they are compatible with connections with a maximum thread length of 5 mm, and the TPV fittings thread are 5.5mm long, so I assume that they're not compatible ?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Apparently the colleagues (or I :unsure:) got a bit confused with the information. The connections fit. With 5 and 5.5 mm thread length, the only difference is whether you measure from the fitting or from the O-ring. Basically, all 5 and 5.5 mm threads are compatible with each other.