Radiator paint.

bufulo

I have two V.2 30mm Nexxos, 120mm. Both are missing paint on the radiator fins but one is particularly bad (about 2/3 orange/bare on both sides). It looks terrible and I also worry about corrosion over time so I am considering painting it. Are the radiators painted with black enamel or lacquer?

Attachments

• Ugly.jpg
    Ugly.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 14

bufulo

If you look at the photo, it's obviously not intentional. They wouldn't intentionally paint 1/4 of the fins. The other radiator I have has more evenly painted (or unpainted) fins. If you've ever painted a radiator, you'll find that getting the paint to evenly coat the fins requires some care. It seems that the person or machine painting mine had a bad day.

I just want to know if Alphacool uses a lacquer or enamel paint so I can repaint it properly.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi There, this is not corrosion. We do not paint the lamellas on purpose to get more cooling performance. That is all :)

bufulo

I know it's not corrosion, but unpainted copper/brass will corrode in humid environments. Obviously the face of the fins (lamellas?) are painted intentionally and the paint was simply applied quickly/carelessly in that area, likely when the person spraying the paint was trying to be sure to completely paint the more visible surfaces surrounding the fins.

My question was pretty simple and nobody has an answer? I simply want to know if the paint is enamel or lacquer.

bkrownd

They spray the end caps, and the middle only gets oblique overspray. The company will have to chime in about the type of paint. Living in the tropics I understand the concern about corrosion. When I removed my 4 year old aluminum air cooler the fins had a bunch of crusty white oxide in some spots.

bufulo

Here are a few more photos. It's not all about cooling performance or they'd mask that area when painting. So they do intend to paint the core, maybe lightly, to improve the appearance, but it should be more even than the ones I received. I'll have to touch it up a bit.

I'm curious what Alphacool has tested and how much difference they found the paint makes. I bet it's very minimal unless sprayed much too thickly.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 6

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
It depends on the radiator size and the fans, but the differences between a full painted radiator and our radiators is about 1-3°C.

Kyllian1

Hello, I'm in the same situation as you. Could you please share the products or methods you used to paint your radiator? Right now, my radiator is in poor condition and I would like to repaint it, but I have never done it before. I have already found a paint, but I'm unsure of its effectiveness, so I don't want to take any risks. I would appreciate any other suggestions if there are alternative options available. Thank you in advance.