Refilling Eisbaer 140

Nozzle

Hello,
I've had my Eisbaer 140 a little more than a year now and when Argus Monitor maximises the pump speed control it gurgles so I think it's time to top-up with some fresh coolant. Since I'm only toppping up, is it okay to use demin water only (I have access to industrial quantities of the stuff...) or will it be the case that the anti-microbal components will also have evaporated too? Or should I completely drain and refill with a recommended product?

On a different theme, is there such a thing on the market as a quick-fit 45 or 90 degree elbow that I can join in line with the quick-fit fittings of the Eisbaer AIO? Seems like a better place to break in to the system rather than have to remove the pump from the CPU in order to raise the filling port to the highest point for proper priming

My system is very cramped and would benfit having an elbow here:
https://forum.alphacool.com/threads/eisbaer-120mm-or-eisbaer-140mm.384/#post-2932

Also, how "water solid" should it be, i.e. if I leave no room for expansion at all, then when the coolant heats the system will then become pressurised quickly. Typically how much volume should I leave as air (i.e space for the water to expand in to)

Nozzle

Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi there,

Or should I completely drain and refill with a recommended product?
Yes i would definietly recommend this. After you dranin the AIO you can fill the system with distilled water and some anti corrosion fluid.

On a different theme, is there such a thing on the market as a quick-fit 45 or 90 degree elbow that I can join in line with the quick-fit fittings of the Eisbaer AIO?
Well i really dont know but we do not have such a connection. I never saw something like this before.

Also, how "water solid" should it be, i.e. if I leave no room for expansion at all, then when the coolant heats the system will then become pressurised quickly. Typically how much volume should I leave as air (i.e space for the water to expand in to)
You can fill the system completely. An amount of water will disappear after a while because of diffusion.

Nozzle

Metropolis,
Many thanks for your advice,

Yes i would definietly recommend this. After you dranin the AIO you can fill the system with distilled water and some anti corrosion fluid.
What particular product would you recommend? As I understand the subject, automotive antifreeze (be that ethylene gylcol or "OAT" etc) isn't appropriate for this application. CKC apparently contains the required chemicals, though obviously already mixed with demin water.

Well i really dont know but we do not have such a connection. I never saw something like this before.
I was assuming the quickfit might be universal and therefore I might have options here:

You can fill the system completely. An amount of water will disappear after a while because of diffusion.
Okay, thanks.

Nozzle

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
You are very welcome,

What particular product would you recommend? As I understand the subject, automotive antifreeze (be that ethylene gylcol or "OAT" etc) isn't appropriate for this application. CKC apparently contains the required chemicals, though obviously already mixed with demin water.
I would recommend to use distilled water like CKC together with some anti corrosion fluid. You can use also antifreeze.

I was assuming the quickfit might be universal and therefore I might have options here
No, the quick coupling connections are not universal ( there might be some products on the market which are universial but we dont have something like this) .

Nozzle

https://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

With the above information in mind, I am cautious so as not to add in the wrong chemicals and cause a problem. Can you advise the composition of the metal components of the Eisbaer 140 (Aluminium, Brass, copper).

I know anti-corrosion/bio-cide should be used, but generically speaking it would seem anything containing Copper(II) sulphate or chlorine/chloride should be avoided with aluminium components.

(perhaps CKC does contain Copper(II) sulphate??).

I don't want to or need to use a colourful extravagant solution, just whatever is required for reliable operation without corrosion or fungal buildup

Nozzle.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Eisbaer AIOs have pure copper radiators with brass threads. We dont use Aluminium on end customer parts.