Starter Kit for Core i9k and Radeon VII ?

Empusas

Hi,

I already bought the water cooling block for the AMD Radeon VII as the price dropped recently. My new build will also feature an Intel Core i9.
I want to stay in the Alphacool eco system to avoid and trouble with corrosion and other problems. There are many kits from Alphacool, but as a beginner with water cooling I find it quite difficult to pick the right kit. Or a Kit might not even be the best choice for me?

My goal is to cool the CPU and GPU card and my focus is on a silent system. I have read many complains about some of the Alphacool pumps, especially those ones that combine pump and CPU cooler. So I would prefer a separate pump and CPU cooler block. For the size of the radiator I don't have the knowledge to calculate the right size. Again focus is on a silent system and I might use fans from Noctua for my built.
I don't need to have fancy colors, RGB or hard tubes. The system will sit under my desk anyway.

And last but not least, I don't want to spend hundreds of € for the water cooling. So it should be just sufficient and not ridiculously oversized(and overpriced).

Any help to fit the right kit or parts is welcome.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
The right kit depends mainly on the space you have in your case. So... wich case do you have?

War4peace

Water cooling components depend on the case.
Now, if your case affords the room for it, here's a deeply underappreciated radiator which does wonders, especially when paired with 4x 200mm fans in push/pull at gentle speeds (600-700 RPM): Phobya Extreme 400 - 85mm thickness. I own the 200/85mm version which easily cools a Ryzen 3600 + GTX 1080 Ti in gaming.
LE: ninja'd by Eddy :)

Empusas

Hi Eddy,
thank you for the reply. I have not selected the case yet. I currently have the Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-04 on my amazon list, but not decided yet.

Hi War4peace,
also thank you for your reply and recommendation. I was looking to stay with Alphacool for various reasons. One is galvanic corrosion. The GPU Cooler is made of Alu, and the radiator you proposed seems to be Copper. Not sure if there is anything I need to think of when mixing copper and all products from Alphacool for the same reason.

I habe also forgot to mention that I might add an additional Nvidia GPU in the future to run in Win, while the Radio VII is for MacOSX.

War4peace

Are you sure the GPU cooler is made of Aluminum? The part that stays in contact with liquid should be made of nickel-plated copper. Could you please link up the GPU Cooler you have chosen?
BTW: Phobya is a brand of Alphacool.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@War4peace
Maybe he has the Eiswolf Radeon VII cooler. And the Eiswolf cooler have a aluminium passiv cooling block, but the cooler on the GPU has a nickle plated copper base.

@Empusas
Wich gpu cooler do you have exactly? Your case is... well... it is a nice case, but not the best case for a water cooling setup. There is not much space for radiators.
If you have an Eiswolf GPX-Pro cooler, maybe you need only to buy an Eisbaer or Eisbaer LT CPU AiO. Its easy to connect both to a normal bigger water cooling loop.

War4peace

Agreed, the case is not really suitable for CPU+GPU cooling.
Why not go for an external radiator solution? I use one and it's awesome.