Strange noise since Eiswolf 2 on my 3080 Ventus

Tom.B

Hello,

I bought a Eiswolf 2 for my GTX 3080 ventus on aquatuning last week and installed it yesterday. Everything went fine and the temp are great ( 22°c idle and 50% on load)...But....

I have a silent Pc and with that Eiswolf installed, a strange noise appear. It comes from the pump, or the GPU, I don't know. I don't know either if it's a bubble problem or a coil whine problem. First time in watercooling.

I've register the noise : you have to increase the volume to hear the "bzzzzz" sound. Trust me, I can hear it from my desk when my PC is under it. It's really anoying (because, of course I'm focusing on it ) :

This noise only appear when GPU is on load. No noise when idle.

Have someone had the same thing ? is there any chance I can make it disappear ?

thanks.

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Tom.B

I listened to the video a couple of times with headphones. It sounds like a coil whine to me. Especially because you say it only happens when the GPU is under load. Is it always here then? Or, for example, on the loading screen of a game? My card only has it on the loading screen of a few games, but not every one.

If it is really coil whine, as far as I know there is not much you can do about it.

Best Regards

Tom.B

Yes, it sound like coil whine. I didn't have that with my stock fans. Always there from the game launch to the game ending. Tried 4 games, always there.

I've read that backplate could bring coil whine. Next week I'll try to take it back. Don't know the real risk to have a GPU without backplate.

Luckystricker

Official Alphacool Staff
Staff member
Hi @Tom.B

OK.
As far as I know, there could be several reasons.
One thing would be the original air cooler shields the whine better than a water cooler. And the other would be because of the water cooler, the temperatures of the coils are lower. As a result, they contract a little (like metal that is very strongly cooled down, or stretched when heated) and can then start to vibrate, and that should also be able to trigger the beeping. At least I read that once about where the coil whine comes from.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether it will help you who you dismantle the back plate. Or whether this is required by your GPU. In the case of a 3090, actually because it also has memory chips installed on the back.

Best Regards