Stripped radiator screw threads on new radiator.

Modmike

I have an Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm Radiator that I am just getting around to installing. I am mounting @ X 120 fans and then a Protium reservoir on the front.

I used the 35mm screws for the centre bracket that mounts on the fan and no issues. The problem is that both lower holes seem to strip out. The crew goes in and sort of pops as if stripped. I reversed the radiator and used different screws but same. What am I doing wrong?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, it sounds to me like the screw threads from the radiator are damaged. Have you cheked the threads? Please try the screw without the fan and see how it works.

Modmike

That is what I don't understand. I use to rebuild engines and build custom drones. I understand what it is to strip a screw.= and I know I didn't strip it. Morever, it is weird that only the bottom holes on both sides and top have the same issue. The middle ones are fine.

I suspect there was a tooling issue during manufacturing.

Modmike

@Metropolis34

I inspected the radiator today and tried every hole using several of the included bolts. Each one, including ones that never saw a screw, seemed stripped. I thought this was highly unlikely so I measured the included bolts.

The ISO M3 spec on the outside thread is 2.91mm. The Alphacool bolts included with the radiator varied from 2.78 to 2.82mm, which explains why they wobble going in and don't hold. My M3 bolt with 2.91 mm thread goes in easily, wobbles much less, and holds perfectly.

The screws are very specialized, where can I get some?

Attachments

• 279.jpg
    279.jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 291.jpg
    291.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Modmike

You are welcome dude waiting for the photos :)

@Metropolis34 it's funny, you couldn't wait for the pictures so you could blame me for stripping the screws. When I send you proof of the REAL issue, you can't even take the time to comment on the crappy screws you included. I'll make sure this gets tons of publicity through my friends channel.

I'm sure I am not the only one who is disappointed that he got a radiator he has to wait a month to install.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
@Metropolis34 it's funny, you couldn't wait for the pictures so you could blame me for stripping the screws. When I send you proof of the REAL issue, you can't even take the time to comment on the crappy screws you included. I'll make sure this gets tons of publicity through my friends channel.
Dude we are having internet problems since last wednesday please wait with such judgments and we do not work on the weekends so :) I need you to write an email to info@alphacool.com so we can send you some screws for free. Thank you.

adamdopp

I have two thread holes on one of my radiators that won't thread the included M3 screws. It's not stripped, the screw won't go into the hole; as if the hole is just a micron too small. I tried multiple screws in each hole. How can I fix this? I was thinking about trying to ream it out a bit and hope that it threads. Or ream it out and put a nut behind the hole; but I don't know what thread pitch it is. I already attached everything and don't want to return/replace it if I can help it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bufulo

The screw holes in some of my radiators had enough paint in them to make getting the screws started difficult. I cleaned them out with an M3 tap - very simple if you have the tap.