Tec Protect 2 conductivity

Atomix

Hi,

I recently built a new custom loop with mainly Alphacool parts and the Tec Protect 2 as my cooling liquid. I had to RMA the sensor (not Alphacool btw) wich I put in my loop and since I got it back, it shows some very bad conductivity and thus bad water quality. I plan to refill my loop with fresh Tec Protect 2 and would like to know the conductivity (micro S/cm) at 20°C, if that is not some kind of trade secret, to see if I can trust my sensor.
Thank you!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Measuring water quality based on conductivity is almost ridiculous. This says nothing at all about the water quality. If you were to go by this, you would have to use ultrapure water from the medical sector, which has the lowest conductivity. As soon as you use additives for corrosion or similar, the conductivity naturally increases. In summary, the sensor is actually completely pointless.

Atomix

I get the point that you are trying to get across and I did not advocate to solely use some ultra pure water without additives to have very low cunductivity. As I said, they repaired my sensor and I naively thought that they would probably clean the inside of it before returning it to me. With the high conductivity I fear that I have some WD40 or similar in my loop...
But more broadly speaking, the cooling liquid does take on ions, impureties or what have you from the metals that it is flowing through over time. So if I have a correct baseline for my liquid (including additives!), the rise in conductivity can be an indicator for when it is time to change the liquid. Or is this an unreasonable assumption somwhow?
So my question remains: What is the conductivity of your Tec Protect 2 at 20°C? It is not really some sort of intellectual property, is it?